Archer C7 bricked after power outage, can it be saved?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-07 15:38:53
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

A few days ago, the power went out while I was using the PC, and immediately I noticed the C7 was bricked. It restarts every few seconds like a typical brick. Before anyone asks, I have never even used the USB ports let alone tried to flash anything on this router. I went to work googling and literally could not find a single person who had a bricked c7 that wasn't doing any kind of custom modding. I figured i'd try the methods proposed to them anyway, in hopes this would solve my type of bricking as well. However now I'm starting to think its a permanent brick, and have resorted to this forum for last chance tries before I buy another router.

I cannot enter recovery mode. I've tried every combination of timing and duration for holding WPS/Reset while powering on, and while I can get a sort of 10 second freeze in the lights which include the WPS light, it resets as normal after that 10 seconds. It seems like it tries to enter recovery, but eventually reboots anyway. Also of note, both USB led's are always lit all the time since the brick. I'm not sure if this is relevant since I don't remember if the lights were on before the brick.

I'm out of options so if anyone has any idea or can confirm that this is in fact permanently dead, i'd appreciate it :)
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C7 bricked after power outage, can it be saved?
2018-03-08 10:21:37
What's the hardware version of your router? I found this post about firmware recovery, which you may try but you need the recovery firmware from tplink first
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?81462-How-to-recovery-the-router-when-you-bricked-it&highlight=fitz
Options
2018-03-08 15:58:53

Enson Loo wrote

What's the hardware version of your router? I found this post about firmware recovery, which you may try but you need the recovery firmware from tplink first
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?81462-How-to-recovery-the-router-when-you-bricked-it&highlight=fitz

V2.0

I downloaded the latest v2 firmware, as well as tftpd, but i'm not sure what to do from here. Will this solution work even though my router won't seem to stay in recovery mode?
Options
2018-03-09 15:51:38
Hi, r ename the file name which you download from the TP-LINK website the same as the name shows on the Log Viewer, and follow that instruction and try to recovery the router. If it doesn't work, better to contact TP-LINK support to see if it's under warranty.

DominicS48 wrote

V2.0

I downloaded the latest v2 firmware, as well as tftpd, but i'm not sure what to do from here. Will this solution work even though my router won't seem to stay in recovery mode?
Options
2019-10-30 13:33:17

@DominicS48 I am experiencing the same or similar issue with my Archer C7 v2.  I am running the latest firmware by TP-Link and have not modified the firmware in anyway. The router does not fully boot to a normal state.  The Power and WAN light work but nothing else. I've had minimal success repeadily rebooting the unit until it functions properly.  Even then, the router is unreliable.  The admin portal is unreachable and it eventually crashes.  

At this point, I feel that a new router is the best option.  Its not worth my time to keep troubleshooting this device. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2666

Replies: 4

Related Articles