Archer C3200 Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-10 01:39:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Have been unable to fully understand the parental controls. Can one use both whitelist and blacklist? Example, whitelist (block completely - no access) a PC at night time hours, and also blacklist (block specifically by sites or words) the same PC for specific gaming sites during the remain daytime hours. In other words can I use both blacklist and whitelist for the same PC? If yes, what is the process for settings.

Thanks
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C3200 Parental Controls
2018-03-15 11:45:29
It's either whitelist or blacklist.
Options
2018-03-16 00:09:15

Enson Loo wrote

It's either whitelist or blacklist.

That is pretty poor Parental Control feature. Any routers out there with some decent Parental Controls?
Options
2018-03-28 11:00:39
It takes a little effort to understand how to setup Parental Control rules. Here are some basics:

* Parental Controls appear to be only working to allow/disallow access to websites (HTTP/HTTPS). As a result, a video stream in progress from Netflix, for example, will not be blocked;
* Whitelist is used to restrict access only to specified sites. Note that if nothing is specified in Whitelist, then everything will be blocked ("Whitelist nothing" rule, meaning that nothing should be allowed);
* Blacklist is used to block access to specified sites. Note that if nothing is specified in Blacklist, then nothing will be blocked ("Blacklist nothing" rule, meaning that nothing should be blocked);
* Based on everything above, the only practical use of Parental Controls appears to be either blacklisting access to questionable websites (sites with explicit content, for example) or whitelisting only specific websites (educational, for example) to prevent kids from wondering around online.
* It is not possible to interrupt a video stream like with Access Control feature of old TL-WDR4300.
Options
2018-03-30 01:23:54
Thanks. I thought when I whitelist (with no specifics) a mac address that all internet would be disallowed. But apparently, this is not the case...streaming and games continue to play until a new search starts. Seems to be pretty poor control. There must be a router out there somewhere with comprehensive controls:confused:
Options
2018-03-30 10:11:08
if your router is still able to return , you can see homecare routers which can setup individual rules for each device.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1707.html
Options
2018-04-15 06:27:57

Kevin SG wrote

if your router is still able to return , you can see homecare routers which can setup individual rules for each device.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1707.html

Thanks. Yes I wish this router had better control. I know some ports that I would like to restrict but I can't understand from the user interface or manual how to block ports...you would think that would be pretty basic. Also there are lots instructs on the web about blocking sites and ports for older TP Link routers, but not for this one. If I buy a different router I want one with detailed control capabilities, even homecare looks pretty limited. I had an old Linyks router that seemed much more comprehensive.
Options
2018-04-24 09:53:15
I went back and forth with support and eventually got the following response:
The router cannot block the app as the way you wanted for now.
I will send a feedback to related department and they will evaluate the plan.
Thanks for your understanding.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1192

Replies: 7

Related Articles