"Pay to Surf" breaks Windows Update, Windows Store

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-11 23:29:41
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Long story short: it seems any Windows 10 device that is assigned a Parental Control profile with "Pay to Surf" blocked will not be able to use the Windows Update mechanism or the Windows Store.

For months I've cursed my child's Windows 10 laptop, as Windows Update always failed -- manually checking for updates would take a long time to run and in the end say it was unable to check for updates, and the system never detected available monthly updates on its own. The problem persisted after installing the April feature upgrade (version 1803). Every month I've been manually downloading Windows updates from Microsoft's Update Catalog website, which has been very annoying.

The other day we tried installing software from the Windows Store, and that didn't work, either. That was too much. I factory reset the laptop to the Windows 10 version it shipped with -- and had the same problem!

It finally hit me, hey, maybe this is a networking problem. I reassigned the device to a group with fewer parental control restrictions and voila, Windows worked properly again.

With a little experimentation I've determined that the Pay to Surf block breaks the normal Windows Update mechanisms and the Windows Store.

I have reported this to TP Link support through the normal website "email" channel.

I think the most annoying thing about this is that if I got notifications of connections blocked by the Deco, or even just some kind of blocking report, I might have figured this out months ago and saved myself and my child a bunch of time & frustration.
Options
2 Reply
Re:"Pay to Surf" breaks Windows Update, Windows Store
2018-07-12 15:08:15
very good sharing...
Options
Re:"Pay to Surf" breaks Windows Update, Windows Store
2019-09-28 19:04:02

@layer4dad "Pay to Surf" breaks Windows Update and also Norton LiveUpdate. Probably others. 100% consistent and repeatable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1482

Replies: 2