all units as AP - does it still do smart mesh handoffs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-20 04:09:09
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I would like to set up the following:
Cable modem -> non-Deco router -> switch -> Deco1 / Deco2 / Deco3 (all wired backhaul, all set up as APs)

If none of the Decos are set up as a router, will they still be able to do all of the smart mesh optimization, such as automatically choosing the strongest signal, automatically switching between 2.4/5GHz, automatic handoff, etc?

I know that the SSID will still be shared.
I know advanced router features are not available anymore.
I know about the Dlink switch issues
I know I can double-NAT, but I want to avoid it if possible.

If there is no mesh optimization, the Deco has no advantage over using multiple wifi routers.
Options
2 Reply
Re:all units as AP - does it still do smart mesh handoffs?
2018-07-20 17:24:51
Of course, they can make it though they work at Access Point mode.
Options
Re:all units as AP - does it still do smart mesh handoffs?
2018-07-21 00:23:42

Bowen98 wrote

Of course, they can make it though they work at Access Point mode.

Are you 100% certain of this? I've browsed the forums, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this specific issue.

In my example the Decos are wired in a star configuration, dependent on wired backhaul for mesh negotiation. It's not clear that the mesh will work properly if there's no primary Deco router to manage mesh coordination.

Note that I'm not talking about sharing an SSID; any combination of APs can be made to do that. I'm asking if the smart mesh handofff will work without one of the Decos' dedicated as the router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 808

Replies: 2