A2300 (C2300) 5ghz Connection Drops out and can't reconnect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-25 03:35:24
Model : A2300 (c2300)

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 2.0.2 Build 20180123 rel 73742

ISP : Comcast

I used to use a Archer C7 for a while until it became very unstable and the 5ghz line would drop consistently even after FW update so I replaced with a A2300 from Walmart (C2300). I setup and updated to the latest firmware. The router is attached to a TPLink Docsis 3 model.
There are about 11 devices connected to the router but only a few are in use at any given time. These include 2 Laptops, 2 Phones (GOOGLE PIXEL and S7), Roku TV, Chromecast, 2 Fire Sticks, 2 Google Homes and Google Dot.
[*]What has begun to happen is the 5ghz line just drops out on certain devices and I can't reconnect with a soft boot. I need to pull the plug and restart.
[*]Yesterday for instance, my Roku TV and Google Pixel dropped out off the 5ghz line but all others remained connected. When attempting to reconnect they would say obtaining IP for a while then either not connect or say "connected, no internet"
I am a little Po'ed as this is the 2nd TP Link Router I have owned with issues and I can't return the router since its past the 45 day mark and I literally just setup 1 week ago.
Options
16 Reply
Re:A2300 (C2300) 5ghz Connection Drops out and can't reconnect
2018-07-25 17:03:29
since it's the same issue with 5G Wi-Fi, it's recommended to contact tp-link support by email for professional help.
Options
2018-09-21 10:49:43
So the 5ghz line was stable for a short time and only had to reset the router 2-3 times over the last month which is still ridiculous.Tonight however the 5ghz line crapped the bed. It completely disappeared and even with reboots it wouldn't show back up. Them randomly it comes back but when you connect to it, there is severe lag is requests to sites and won't go above.5 Mbps then will spoke then back to around .5This is BS and the 2nd tplink router with issues.Is this a known issue and any fix?
Options
2018-09-21 23:21:33
So the router has been semi stable the last 1.5 months but the 5ghz still drops sometimes and will become unstable without a reset.

When it becomes unstable it will disappear or speeds will drop to about .5mbps.

Yesterday however even with multiple reboots to the router it becomes unusable and shows up then disappears or gives me garbage speeds.

I am a little pissed off as this is the 2nd router from TP Link (different model) same damn issue.

Any suggestions?
Options
2018-09-24 02:23:25
I have a Archer C8 and sometimes I have a 5ghz signal in my bedroom and sometimes not. The 5ghz is faster but does not have the distance that the slower 2.4 ghz has.
Check your router and see if your SSID settings are set for a specific channel or Auto. Sometimes other devices can interfere with signal. Try a different router location, direction the router points, antenna position,... to see if that helps.

Let us know what you find out.
Options
2018-09-30 20:53:26

Elbert wrote

I have a Archer C8 and sometimes I have a 5ghz signal in my bedroom and sometimes not. The 5ghz is faster but does not have the distance that the slower 2.4 ghz has. Check your router and see if your SSID settings are set for a specific channel or Auto. Sometimes other devices can interfere with signal. Try a different router location, direction the router points, antenna position,... to see if that helps.Let us know what you find out.
So I checked the ssids and both are set to auto. Will there be a specific Channel you would recommend for the 5ghz?I plugged in my old C7 just for s**** and giggles. The 5ghz is dropping out as well even with the updated firmware.What could be interfering with the 5ghz singals causing me to have to restart the routers since they disappear?I'm still struggling to figure out if it's a router issue or not. It shouldn't just disappear however which makes me think it's hardware-related on both the C7 and a2300
Options
2018-10-01 20:41:23
Each location will have its own best channel and that can vary from time to time. I have a iMac and it has tools (although somewhat hidden) that allow me to see the other nearby SSIDs and the bands/channels they are using. There are WIFI scanners that you can install for Windows machines. I have my router set to Auto which works okay for me. I do reboot my router every month or so. On rare occasions, I need to reboot because of poor or lost WIFI. I have read that there are other things that can affect WIFI including other nearby routers, radar, weather stations, aircraft transponders, Ham radios, home devices such as phones, baby monitors, security cameras,...
Radio signals are not always at a constant level, so distance does matter. You have seen the bars change on your phone as you move, turn, or just standing still.
Take a look at https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-wifi-channel-for-5ghz-frequency/ as there are channels that do not overlap which would be a good choice to try.
Having two different routers have the same issue makes me think it is not a router issue, however since both are TP-Link routers, they both may have the same weakness.
If it were me, I would check to see if DD-WRT would install on the version of your C7 and try that.
Let us know what you find out.
Options
2018-10-03 07:25:50
I can't even connect to the 2.4 ghz either. Hell the router doesn't even stay up and I can't tether to it anymore cuz it's not showing available on the cloud.
Options
2018-10-03 16:09:30
Since you have two Fire Sticks and two gigabit routers, you could locate a router next to each Fire Stick, and hardwire them together with 2 adapters and 2 ethernet cables. That would remove the streaming TV load from your wifi. Then configure one wifi network with a bridge. Or with another ethernet cable, you could setup two separate wifi networks to further split the congestion. As has been suggested, you do need a wifi scanner to choose the best channel(s). Network Analyzer works very well on my Android tablet. hth
Options
2018-10-04 00:12:01

ccnaxpired wrote

Since you have two Fire Sticks and two gigabit routers, you could locate a router next to each Fire Stick, and hardwire them together with 2 adapters and 2 ethernet cables. That would remove the streaming TV load from your wifi. Then configure one wifi network with a bridge. Or with another ethernet cable, you could setup two separate wifi networks to further split the congestion. As has been suggested, you do need a wifi scanner to choose the best channel(s). Network Analyzer works very well on my Android tablet. hth

There should not be any congestion and only 1 of these devices is being used at any time. If were watching TV in the living room were using the Roku TV which is 2 ft from the router. If were upstairs, were using the firestick which is literally directly above the router on the next level (maybe 10 ft).
Options
2018-10-04 06:10:06
If you're interested in selecting the clearest channel, there are several network analyzer apps that can be installed on the Firestick in just a few minutes. Just ask Alexa for network analyzer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8967

Replies: 16