Optimizing your Wi-Fi extender's range

2018-11-07 22:37:29 - last edited 2018-11-07 22:37:54

Wi-Fi Range Extenders are a quick and easy way to improve Wi-Fi coverage and eliminate “dead zones” within your home. We offer a variety of Wi-Fi extenders to accommodate the needs of most home networks. Sometimes after installing a Wi-Fi Extender, you might notice that your Wi-Fi range doesn’t seem to be improved or extended as much as you were anticipating. This can be the result of several factors; however, the primary contributors are as follows:

• Your router’s WiFi coverage range.
  • Distance between the extender and the router.
  • The WiFi roaming capabilities of your individual wireless devices, such as phones, tablets, etc.

To get the most out of your Wi-Fi Extender, we always recommend installing the device in an area of your home where the router's Wi-Fi signal is sufficiently strong; yet far enough from the router to effectively extend its range. With Dual Band Wi-Fi Extenders, it’s especially important to make sure the extender is placed in an area where your router’s 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are both sufficiently strong.

Finding the “sweet spot” for a Wi-Fi Extender within your home can sometimes require a bit of experimentation, since homes have varying layouts, Wi-Fi router performance levels, and router placement. We recommend setting up the extender in an area near the router, then once complete, relocating the extender to a halfway point between the router and the area you want additional Wi-Fi coverage for. Thankfully, our Wi-Fi Extenders are equipped with indicator LEDs that will help you to know whether the area you’ve chosen is ideal or not.

As always, our Support Team is happy to answer questions about our products. If you have any questions about our Wi-Fi Range Extenders, feel free to contact our Support Team here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support

Options
17 Reply
Re:Optimizing your Wi-Fi extender's range
2020-07-12 18:40:33 - last edited 2020-07-12 18:41:22

@Carl 

I just ordered a RE220 Onemesh capable range extender and have a C5400 router.  When will Onemesh capability be available for the C5400?  This router has performed very well for us and we want to keep it and install Onemesh.

Options
2020-07-13 18:48:06

@Random_Tech_Guy 

To my knowledge no.  This is because the C5400 is now end of life so unless its to patch a bug or a security concern the likely hood of feature update firmwares is very low. 

Options
2020-07-30 17:37:31

@Carl I just got theTLl-WA855RE but the signal for movies is very choppy I thought I'll have a smooth signal but nop, I have to connect to my router again

any ideas on how to fix the problem?

the distance between the router and the extender is minimum, the only reason I got the extender is that I been loosing signal often with my router,

Options
2020-07-31 18:23:25

@rodri71 

One thing could be is that the 855RE is only a 2.4GHz device.  2.4GHz is not recommended for streaming, especially if you are streaming HD connect due to the lower connection rates and higher interference and congestion potential due to how used 2.4GHz is.  Also placement.  An Extender should be placed in a good signal area that is open and free from obstructions that is between where the router is and where service is desired.  

Options
2020-07-31 18:51:09

@Carl thank you for your reply, can you recommend me a extender is good with streaming

thank you

Options
2020-08-04 15:38:53

@rodri71 

Our two best ones right now are the RE220 and the RE300.  the RE450 is also a decent choice as well.

Options
2020-09-20 05:18:20

Carl wrote

Wi-Fi Range Extenders are a quick and easy way to improve Wi-Fi coverage and eliminate “dead zones” within your home. We offer a variety of Wi-Fi extenders to accommodate the needs of most home networks. Sometimes after installing a Wi-Fi Extender, you might notice that your Wi-Fi range doesn’t seem to be improved or extended as much as you were anticipating. This can be the result of several factors; however, the primary contributors are as follows:

• Your router’s WiFi coverage range.
  • Distance between the extender and the router.
  • The WiFi roaming capabilities of your individual wireless devices, such as phones, tablets, etc.

To get the most out of your Wi-Fi Extender, we always recommend installing the device in an area of your home where the router's Wi-Fi signal is sufficiently strong; yet far enough from the router to effectively extend its range. With Dual Band Wi-Fi Extenders, it’s especially important to make sure the extender is placed in an area where your router’s 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are both sufficiently strong.

Finding the “sweet spot” for a Wi-Fi Extender within your home can sometimes require a bit of experimentation, since homes have varying layouts, Wi-Fi router performance levels, and router placement. We recommend setting up the extender in an area near the router, then once complete, relocating the extender to a halfway point between the router and the area you want additional Wi-Fi coverage for. Thankfully, our Wi-Fi Extenders are equipped with indicator LEDs that will help you to know whether the area you’ve chosen is ideal or not.

As always, our Support Team is happy to answer questions about our products. If you have any questions about our Wi-Fi Range Extenders, feel free to contact our Support Team here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support

@Carl 

Options
2020-09-21 19:17:17

@Josecastro 

Did you have a question about the post?

Options
2021-01-28 02:52:09

Carl

I just bought a wifi extender and it will not let me hook up to it on any of my devices. It says it has a strong connection and is in range but every time I click on the wifi extender name it loads then says unable to join. 

Options
2021-01-28 23:12:18

@Care 

Care please do me a favor and create a thread under range extenders for that.  It is different that what this thread pretains to and we would like to keep the threads on topic.  Please include any troubleshooting you have done and what extender you have.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 9107

Replies: 17

Related Articles