Archer C1200 keeps getting hacked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-12 18:58:49

I got the Archer C1200 a few months ago and I have been happy with the speed and range. Last month I received a message from my internet provider that I was approaching my data limit, which was surprising because I usually use less than 30 percent of the limit. In looking at my account, I discovered that data use had increased dramatically starting on Oct. 20. I went from about 5 gigs/day to 50, and on some of those days, I was away with no devices on. I changed my password on the same date I noticed a Cox truck outside, so I couldn't tell if the repairman had fixed the problem or my change had blocked a hacker because data use immediately went down. Data use increased a few days ago, so I am now sure that somebody is hacking my system. Cox is telling me I need to get thei modem to get them to help me, and that's ridiculous. I can account for all the devices shown on the app, so I beleive somebody is doing this late at night.  Is there any way I can determine or at least narrow down, who is hacking into my wifi so I can report them? I can get the wifi signal on my phone down the street, so there are a lot of potential suspects.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 keeps getting hacked
2018-12-12 20:00:05

There are a couple of things that would be recommended.

1. Make sure the router has the latest firmware. (https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2139.html)

2. Change the admin login password of the router from the default to a unique one.

3. Reference this article to give additiional tips to guard against attacks: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1533.html

4. Enable Traffic Statictics to see how much data is being moved from what to device to further pinpoint the culprit by going to Advanced > System Tools > Traffic Statistics, and enabling it.

5. You can black list devices that are not recognzied by going to Advanced > Security > Access Control.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2021

Replies: 1