Archer C1200 Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C1200 Problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C1200 Problem
Archer C1200 Problem
2021-01-22 04:52:32
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.16.0 0.9.1 v6014.0 Build 180522 Rel.45954nb

Hello

Got a strange problem. I am in a rental house in Thailand with internet provided via C1200 router by ISP TOT. I can log in to the router via admin.

There are 2 x SSID I can log in through for internet, 2.4 and 5 ghz. The SSID names that broadcast are different to the SSID that are shown when I log in to the router. For instance, the 2.4ghz band broadcasted SSID is 'Home1'  which is what I log in to connect to the internet, whereas when logged in to the router it shows SSID as 'TP-Link_3C04' for the 2.4ghz. Furthermore, the passwords assigned inside the router are not the ones I log in with. In fact, I cannot log in with the passwords show in the router, nor can I find the SSID to try to log in to it.

I want to change the admin password for the router as it is weak and also the SSID and Wifi passwords but for the life of me, I  cannot find these settings anywhere. I am presuming that TOT have some kind of set up that is bypassing this router - so what function does this router have? If I change the current router settings, will my internet no longer work or will it act as a router in the middle?

When I originally moved in, I wanted to change the wifi passwords but couldn't log in to the router, so I reset the router. I had to get my landlady to call TOT as I could no longer access the internet and they sent 4 guys to fix it. None of them spoke any English, so I couldn't tell them what I was trying to achieve.

I have set up countless routers in the past and have come across admin settings that are pre-installed by the ISP but nothing where the login details are different that what are being used.

All devices show as connected via the router but show as wired, whereas only my Amazon FireTv is wired, everything else is wifi.

CWMP Settings are set with a displayed URL of http://plentyacs.com:#### with a number (####) afterwards but page does not load. If I remove the :#### than I get to a login page which doesn't accept the displayed username and password as it doesn't now know where it is routed from.

Any help appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 Problem
2021-01-22 22:18:11

@kebabby 

Not sure I can help you but I will try.

By chance do you have an extender or another router in AP mode? You could be connected to them.

Check your guest network's SSIDs on your router to see if they are set up as it may be the SSIDs you are using.

If none of the above, power down the router and see if you can still get on the internet as it appears you may not be connected to that router.

Try setting up the router’s SSID TP-Link_3C04 and password in your device and see if you can connect to the Internet.

Another thought, do you have a gateway (modem/ router) supplied by your ISP instead of just a modem? They may have set you up to use it.

Options
2021-01-23 05:12:27

@ArcherC8 

Thanks.

Definitely connected to this router, if I power down - connection is lost.

I think it may be something to do with this plenty URL, it seems as though the router redirects to there for admin purposes. I just have a cat 5 cable coming in through the wall to the router, no other equipment.

I just wanted to get a secure password for the WiFi as you could pretty much guess the password.

I've backed up the router settings, I'll try see if anything I change will create some additional security but I'm not hopeful. I reckon it will just affect whatever routing is going on.

Options
2021-01-23 11:27:36

@kebabby 

I think you are connecting the router to a router?

Check this page, https://plentyacs.com/QIG_Manual.pdf, I can not read it, but it leads me to believe that wire is from a router, not a modem? Page 6 sort of indicates that as it shows device list option as well as SSID for 2.4Ghz?

When you said you powered the router off you lost connection, but did the wireless devices lose connection as well? If not, they were connected to the TOT router.

Is your router in Access Point mode? If not, maybe that is how it should be set up, see https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201802/20180224/1910012180_Archer%20C1200_UG.pdf and specifically page 24.

Options