C5400X - Internet Speed issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C5400X - Internet Speed issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
84 Reply
Re:C5400X - Internet Speed issue
2019-11-04 16:46:58

@Carl I'm starting to experience various connectivity issues and very slow speeds, after rebooting up the router, the Wi-Fi signal reach decreased by more than 60%, since I bought it never got a problem with it until today. Is there a new firmware that I can try to see if that fixes the Wi-Fi problem?

Options
2019-11-04 17:17:25

@klir 

The most recent firmware for the router is:  Here

However this is from September of last year.  New firmware typically only releases when issues are being addressed or freatures are being updated.  The C5400X has been a pretty reliable and stable unit so that is why there haven't been any updates recently.   For the speed issues who is your ISP?  If they are a cable provider i would recommned logging into your modem, typically 192.168.100.1 and check the modem's logs.  If you see T3 or T4 timeout errors this indicates a singal issue with your ISP's line that will require a maintenance dispatch to what is called "Plant" to repair.  For the Wireless singal issue, the range could actaully be good but due to line issues that service speed just may be too weak to reach the fair reaches.  Also interference on the channel could be another culprit.  Try changing the band channels or activate smart connect.  If you have a wifi anaylzer that can help determine the best channel to use.  Another cause could be if anything new was recently plugged in near the router that emmits a EMI signal strong enough to disrupt the wireless signal.  Itmes such as large TV, stereos, and major appliances can affect a wireless singal .  

Please check this and let us know of any other troubleshooting you have done and we can help futher. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2019-11-04 20:05:12

@Carl I've been using it the same way, in the same place with the same settings since I bought it and configured it for the first time. Never had an issue until today, after 1 month of using it without problems, no connectivity issues, no dropped signal, no WiFi coverage issues, it all started today and it is affecting 70% of the devices at home when I've never had an issue before with the same devices.

Something really bad happened and I hope this is not a hardware issue because after performing several soft and even hard resets, still not working, my surveillance cameras are not reaching the router, my computers at the office also have issues connecting to it.

Is there a way I can get someone from the Level 2 support to figure this out? Or replacing it is the only option?

Thanks.

Options
2019-11-06 05:54:19

@Carl 

Dude...you're telling us they aren't even working on a new Firmware despite the fact that you provided us earlier with a Beta and the fact that I have provided evidence of problems and others are still experiencing problems? Like...I've already replaced this router once before trying the Beta firmware which didn't help me. I suppose at this point I will need to look at an alternate solution.

This is not stable. If you do a google search C5400X speed issue you will see others with the issue as well outside of just this thread.

Options
2019-11-06 18:10:12

@klir 

Klir before i can get our engineering team invovled I need to make sure we have all the possible information to give to them to avoid back and forth communications.  Issues that come one suddenly are often caused by an issue on an ISPs line, not always but often.  That is why we asked about your ISP and if they were cabel to check specically the modem logs for T3 or T4 timeouts.  For other types of service providers there are not any clear ways for a customer to determine a line issue without contacting them and having a line stablity test ran.   

@FrostFox 

You are correct there is a beta FW,  that actually slipped my mind.  That was to see if an issue with in the software that caused speed issues for some customers.  This issue was typically seen right out of the box and did not come on suddenly.  I need to check to why, first the link was removed and 2nd if they are developing a official release version.  My claims about the router's reliablity are factual as we do not get many calls or warranty claims on the model.  

I will update you when i know more. 

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

Options
2019-11-06 22:05:50

@Carl 

It sounds like my best chance at resolution is to see if I can return this again or continue to wait and see if there will be a firmware release.

Options
2019-11-06 22:44:37

@FrostFox 

We did get word from one User who reloaded the currenty firmware and stated that their issues were resolved.  But we have already reached out to the engneers for an updated.  Hopefully we will have something by tomorrow or Friday at the latest.  

Options
2019-11-06 23:50:47

@Carl I've been talking already with an engineer, we went through all troubleshooting possible and also she sent me a link with a beta firmware release in March 2019, I loaded it to the router and nothing, I rollback to the current one in September 2018 and same thing. Something snapped inside that router, I don't think this is a software issue anymore.

Options
2019-11-07 00:56:40

@FrostFox Yeah, where is that beta version? Where the hell did that thing go? Why can't Carl at least repost a link for that while ToiletPaper-Link engineers fine-tune the firmware of this expensive chunk of plastic?

Options
2019-11-07 01:11:23

@Manolo86 

The Link was posted by our engineering team.  We do not have access to the file to post ourselves or we would have done that when the file was no longer available.  Going forward i have requested that if a FW is provided like this that it is not removed without advanced notice.  

Options
Related Articles