C5400X - Internet Speed issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C5400X - Internet Speed issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
84 Reply
Re:C5400X - Internet Speed issue
2019-12-22 03:12:41

I recently purchased the C5400X and appear to have the same issue as others in this thread -- where my internet speed drops over several days and a router reboot is required to bring it back to full speed. I have gigabit internet, and after a router reboot, I get greater than 900 Mbps on my LAN PCs. After a week, I get less than 400 Mbps. I was running the latest published firmware. Today, I updated to the beta firmware (posted in this thread). The beta firmware is six months old. Why hasn't this firmware been officially released? The "TP-LINK BETA" pasted over every config screen is quite annoying. I plan to return this router before the month is up, which is quite disappointing.

Options
2019-12-31 00:11:09

@RichH 

All I can tell you is that we reached out to our Software team and asked for an update on when the firmware will be officially released but we have not heard anything back yet.  We will request another update and as soon as we have word we will let you know. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2019-12-31 14:40:17

@Carl, thanks for the response. I look forward to an update from your engineering team.

Options
2020-01-22 16:46:18

The updated firmware appears to have been posted (January 14, 2020 release).

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c5400x/#Firmware

Options
2020-02-04 12:18:30

I updated my TP-Link with this firmware and I am having a new problem.

Our internet provider has replaced the cable modem 5 times now. For whatever reason the tp-link will every once in a while the status light turns orange, at this point there is no internet access. It takes about 5 minutes before the status light turns green, and then were back on-line again.

I have tried everything except getting an RMA for this router. The log file has nothing in it at all.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Options
2020-02-04 15:26:25

@Chaz I have not experienced any issues since updating to the new firmware. My internet performance has been good, and the router has been stable.

Chaz wrote

I updated my TP-Link with this firmware and I am having a new problem.

Our internet provider has replaced the cable modem 5 times now. For whatever reason the tp-link will every once in a while the status light turns orange, at this point there is no internet access. It takes about 5 minutes before the status light turns green, and then were back on-line again.

I have tried everything except getting an RMA for this router. The log file has nothing in it at all.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Options
2020-02-04 15:34:38

Can somebody who updated their router with the new firmware can tell if the problem is resolved ?  If the speed is now constant and not dropping after a while ?  Thanks !

Options
2020-02-04 19:55:31

@RichH Just wanted to post an update to my issue, which I resolved earlier today, apparently when you want to upgrade your routers firmware, do not use the web interface to update it, instead download the file, extract it, and then update your router with that, I haven't had a problem since I did this.

Options
Re:C5400X - Internet Speed issue-Solution
2020-02-07 18:55:46 - last edited 2020-03-12 15:09:52

I updated with last firmware with this method : Download de file from the website and choose it in the browse option of the firmware update option in router menu.

Now, it is possible to turn off QOS function, if you're doing it, you then will be able to get the fastest speed available of your connection using the SpeedTest App.  So the limitation of speed was made by QOS (it's logic).  Another great function have been added for Geforce Now support, and this is working well.

This way I know that the router can use all the bandwidth of my provider, even if I turn on QOS for traffic purpose and to balance network transfer.

Great job TP-Link and Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-01 15:02:40

I have the C5400 v2 with the latest stable firmware, 1.2.5 Build 20190411 rel.52981(5553).  I had to go into the QoS section of the Advanced tab on the home page of the router setting menu to manually edit the Total Bandwidth entry to 900 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up for my supposedly 600mbps Xfinity service.  At the wall of the house it was around 880 and at the modem it was around 680 or so.  Now, I get anywhere from 620 to 690.  No beta firmware required. 

There is a button on the Basic tab of the Network Map page named Speed Test.  When I tested, it would register no more than 315/12 and that is what showed up automatically in the Total Bandwith entry in both the QoS  Application Priority page and Device Priority page.  When I manually edited the QoS Application Priority page entry to 900/20, the bandwidth restriction to both my wired and wireless devices went away.  It also automatically changed the entry in the QoS Device Priority page to match so that I didn't have to make duplicate entries. 

Hope this helps... 

Options
Related Articles