HS210 Connected to WiFi, no control of lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-11 21:21:48

Hi - maybe it is a wiring issue that I can't figure out, but I replicated the wiring on a single 3-way switch and replaced it with one HS210. The switch receives power, and sits on the COMMON to LOAD. An existing 3-way switch on the other ned (not the HS210 paired switch) sits on the COMMON to HOT and does not have a NEUTRAL wire.  I've seen enough examples and commentary that this works, but what I currently experience during setup and usage is:

1) Connects successfuly to WiFi (lights up green, then goes away), then a white circle is constant

2) When I push either switch, nothing happens - lights stay off.

3) When I use the app to activate the lights, the app shows the lights as on, the switch clicks - but the lights don't come on.

4) A few seconds later, the app shows that the lights are off, no sound from the switch - lights stay off.

A few comments - the HS210 is in box with 2 other switches, there are multiple neutrals (none of which were connected). I don't know if it matters which neutral I use (I oped to connect the switch directly into the whole neutral bundle, so there are 3 neutrals connected.  I tried  one individually and the outcome was the same, but hadn't tried the others.Does which neutral i use matter? (They are all on the same circuit)

In short - something with the wiring is not allowing the lights to come on at all, and I can't diagnose why.  Any advice or experience seeing this problem?

Does the wiring of the travelers matter? I think either can be on either terminal?

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:HS210 Connected to WiFi, no control of lights
2019-01-14 23:19:13

@KSHATZ 

The neutral wire should not mater as long as its being wired to the house neutral and not a neutral of another switch.  What may be the result is the manual switch that was left in place.  I personally have a setup much like this.  One switch, the mechanical one is downstairs in my Garage, while the HS210 is upstairs next to the door, also in a 2-Gain box.  I was having issues like you described.  What i had to do to make it work is this.  Frist make sure the HS210 is off.  You will know this by the white circle light being lit.  Then go to the other switch and flip it to the opposite postion.  Now tap the manual toggle on the HS210 and see if the lights go on.  If they do you will need to keep the mechaincal switch in this postion.  

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
2019-11-19 17:04:42

@Carl 

this setup will make the mechanical switch useless.
I was able to connect one HS210 with a mechanical 3way switch with full functionality, but when I use the other HS210 in another 3way switch setup it does not work. 
The mechanical switch is the only one that can control the lights, the Kasa HS210 will turn on and off immediately.

Options
2019-11-19 19:37:56

@Golferjun 

The HS210 needs to be on the "power" side of the 3-way connection.  The Mechanical on the "load" side.  Otherwise the Mechanical switch will need to be stationary the whole time.  All you should have to do on the 2nd run is swap which one is the mechanical switch and which is the HS210.

Options
2019-11-19 21:15:16

@Carl I think I already have the HS210 on the power side. I remove both switches and separate the wires then I tested which wire has the power and that's where I installed the HS210. Also, that location is where a neutral wire is available.

Could it be that this HS210 switch is defective because when I have it connected to the other 3way system it was showing red WiFi sign. Please help. Thanks

Options
2019-11-19 23:28:40

@Golferjun 

The way its been explained to us is the the live and load wires both will have voltage charge on them.  The difference beeing is one carries the charge from the source of power, the power side and the other carries the currenty to the 2nd switch the load side.  You will need a neutral wire and the transverse wires in order to succesfully connect it.  and easy way to tell if its miswired is to flip the manual switch to the "ON" postition.  then try to operate the lights with the HS210.  If they work the two switches need to be swapped.   I know you mentioned its where the neautral wire is but that does not alway mean that is the powered side of the 3-way enviorment.  When both HS210 units are in the same run only one is connected to the wifi, although the other unit should not have any wifi indicator on.  One way to test the unit if it is defective is to replace the one that you know is working with the one and see if it connects.  If it does then we will know the unit is not the issue.  

Options