Archer A7 constantly dropping signal.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-27 23:50:39

Purchased an Archer A7 less than a week ago and have been using it for about 4 days now. I have cable internet and this router is being used as a bridge / WAP in my house. Connection is going Modem > Router 1 > Archer A7 via ethernet. I have upgraded the A7 to the newest firmware and it is set to WAP mode. When I was using the router in standard router mode the router would restart about every 10 minutes. When it worked it worked great. I set the router to WAP mode and now it is working much better but am still getting random restarts. I am usually getting about one restart every 6-12 hours or so. I just attemped a 600mb download and it happened about halfway through the download. The router is plugged into the wall ethernet port that is hooked up to the home's network. Hardwired from the wall I am able to maintain 300mb speeds and wired through the router it is exactly the same. The connection from the wall port and the main home router have never had an issue with restarting, and when the A7 does, it is just the A7 that is restarting nothing else.

Not sure why this is happening. Would like some opinions / maybe I have incorrect setting I could change before I attempt a return on this router. Should I try rolling back the firmware update on the router? Anyone else experiencing these issues? 

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer A7 constantly dropping signal.
2019-01-28 16:18:07

@Ryboi 

Try disabling NAT Boost and let us know how that works.  To disable log into the A7 Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters and uncheck the box.  Save and Reboot.  

If that does not help i would recommend making a copy of your Config file and send it to ussupportteam@tp-link.com with a link to this post so our test team can load it on a test unit and see if we can replicate the issue. 

Best Regards

Options
2020-03-23 13:04:20

I'm having this same problem.  My A7 is a hardwired access point to my modem/router.  The WAN connection will be good for a while, and then the light goes orange, and there is no connection.  If I reboot the A7 once or more times, it will connect and the internet LED turns green.  I don't see any NAT settings when the A7 is in access point mode.

Options
2020-03-23 17:52:19

@ncbitman 

If the A7 is in AP mode everything is being sent from the main router.  If the WAN light turns orange that indicates the communication bewteen the A7 and the main router was lost.  You would first want to start troubleshooting form that point of contact.  Check the ethernet cable and make sure its firmly connected to both devices.  In most cases you do want to make sure the wifi on the main router is disabled if the archer A7 is working as the WAP, espically if they are right next to each other.  this eliminates interferance and EMI between the two devices.  Next would be to check the router when the WAP goes down.  Perhaps there is a DHCP issue.  If this is the case you may want to consider assigning the A7 a static IP outside of the DHCP range thus elminating dhcp refreshes.  

Let us know if any of this helps.

Options
2020-03-25 10:49:48

@Ryboi Similar problem and DHCP is working most of the time.   I tried upgrading to the latest firmware, but that didn't help and switched back to

1.0.13 Build 20191203 rel.56070(5553)

hoping to restore my router to it's previous state.  Presently I'm using another router for DHCP that's working more reliably, but haven't found much success using Archer A7 v5.0 hardware in the last month.   Would love to hear from anyone who may have similar problems or a fix for DHCP that keeps dropping signal. 

Options
2020-03-25 11:10:14
I did this and double checked my configuration on my Router that is presently providing DHCP. It's presently only provide WAN and LAN DHCP since my Archer A7 won't do DHCP reliably any more. Per your suggestions, I've also set the A7 to Static IP and AP mode as previously mentioned, but the keep dropping signal. When using A7 normally (Router, DHCP, Wireless interface), I plugin to WAN port and it simply flash orange going on and off ever few seconds. My Router that's providing DHCP WiFi is off and only serving as a conduit between my Cable Modem for DHCP and DNS. Any suggestions would be appreciated and probably need to start my own Forum message for help...since my issues are different then Ryan's.
Options
2020-03-25 17:07:14

@sorli 

Hi Sorli,

No need to start a new thread your issue is similar enough "dropping signal".  When the A7 drops signal do you see any changes in the connected devices table on the main router?  With the A7 set to a static IP it won't appear in the DHCP tables but it should in connected devices, though devices connected to the A7 should show up in the DHCP table.  A couple other tests you can try is when the drop happens see if you can ping the router's gateway from a device connected to the A7.  What this will tell us is if connection between the two devices is stable or not.  Alterntivly you can ping the static IP of the A7 with a device connected to the router for the same purpose.  Another thing to check would be the Devices themselves.  If the router detects devices connected to the A7 drop from the DHCP table when the issue happens.  

Let us know and we can determine the next setp.

Options
2020-03-25 17:11:15 - last edited 2020-03-25 17:11:57

@Carl  Few updates and changes.   I decided to reset everything and update my Firmware.  Now using lastest firmware version 14 (again), and reset my configuration starting fresh.  

Seems to be working again and DHCP problems are nolonger an issue for me disconnecting andor not working at all. 

Thanks for the reply, Sorli...

Options
2020-03-25 17:31:46

@sorli 

Awesome please let us know if the issues return.

Options
2020-04-29 21:30:19

@Ryboi   I have been havinig this same issue ever since I received an upgraded modem last week from Xfinity/Comcast - Techicolor CGM4140COM.  A7 will periodically lose connection and it won't reconnect unless I do one of 2 things - either physically disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem (not just from the A7) or log into the A7 and manually renew the DHCP license.  This did not happen with the previous modem which worked fine with the A7 for a couple of years.

This is driving me nuts  - especially since the new modem from Comast has only 2 ethernet ports on the back!  For the other port, I have a long run of cable through the walls going to my entertainment center which has a decade+ old mini 9 port switch (PS4, PS3, AppleTV, Amazon Fire Stick, Denon Receiver, Mac Mini and TV connected).  This whole signal chain works fine while the A7 and anything connected to it has zero signal either over LAN or Wireless.  

When I log into the Comcast modem, it sees the A7 and reports it is connected with no issues - not sure if it would say there were issues, though...

I am going to try assign it a static IP next but I just want to report here that this is an issue and the A7 would not work out of the box for lay users with this combination.

Options
2020-04-30 05:08:18 - last edited 2020-04-30 05:08:54

It's not identical to your issue but as per this thread does your router have trend micro security? Does the dropout happen after exactly 2 days 9 hours 44 minutes? Try disabling Trend Micro.

Options