Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-12 03:17:06 - last edited 2019-02-13 01:09:53

I'd like to redirect all external DNS queries to route through my internal DNS server, as described here https://scotthelme.co.uk/catching-naughty-devices-on-my-home-network/

In the article, the author uses Ubiquiti equipment, but I was curious if there's a way to configure the Deco to redirect in a similar fashion.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-12 19:54:19

@phireph0x 

Is this in relation to your other post about using the cloudflare DNS servers and not allowing the optimizing 3rd DNS server from being used?  

Options
Re:Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-12 23:32:28

No, this is unrelated.  I'd like to redirect any smart home devices that are bypassing my configured DNS servers.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-13 00:36:45

@phireph0x 

Ok, i wanted to be sure because that aritcle mentioned using Cloudflare's DNS so i wanted to rule out if it was related.  Thank you for the clarification.  An answer to this might really depend on the smart device and the app it is controlled by.  Its possible the devices might be hardcoded to respond to a specific DNS, unlikely but possibel.  The Deco M9 is compatible with both TP-Link Kasa devices and Zigbee IOT devices.  Can you give us an idea of any particular smart devices or brands you are curious about?  I will take that information to our software team and see if i can have an answer provided to you.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-13 01:09:15

There are a wide variety of smarthome devices on my network.  I was just curious if it's possible to create a redirect rule on the Deco system, similar to the one described for Ubiquiti equipment in the blog post that I linked.  Thanks!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-16 15:57:10

Any update on this?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Support for DNS redirect rule in Deco
2019-02-24 02:23:28

Still waiting for an update on this one.  Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1412

Replies: 6