Archer C9 QOS doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-23 19:39:37
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

How can I set up bandwidth control on a single IP address?  I've disabled NAT Boost and set my upload bandwidth and it doesn't do anything.  I've adjusted the sliders, added the computer to the three different zones for testing and nothing changes. 

How can a $100 router not have basic bandwidth features?  How can you have QOS settings that literally don't change anything?  It's bad enough you can't buy a v5 in any online store, they all sell V3s.  This is the last TP-LINK i'm going to buy and i'm going to stop recommend purchasing this brand.  You used to make such good devices.  Should have bought a Netgear.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C9 QOS doesn't work
2019-02-25 23:51:54

@carpe 

Let me start off with that we don't control inventory at our retailers.  The purchase and maintain their own inteventory.  Due to this we have no control over the version the retialers sell.  All product bought from a authroized retailer still maintains a 2-year warranty from the purchase date, regardless of the version number.  

As for the issue you are reporting.  There are a few things that can affect QOS from working. 

1.  Database

2.  Rules

3.  Thresholds.  

4.  Type of QOS.

You have the thresholds set and the rules are simply based on priorty levels so those should not have any affect on the serivce working or not for you.  The database and type of QoS might.  If the database is not updated the type of traffic might not be in the QOS rule base and as a result not provide QoS properly.  These can be updated from the Website, although admitly the exact location where to get this file is not clear.  Lastly the type of QoS can also affect how it works.  If the QoS is dynamic for instance the QoS rules would only activate when bandwidth strains affect the application being used. Agian the Type of QoS  on the C9 is not clear. We have reached out to our engineer and software team to get answers to these two questions.  As soon as i have word i will provide an update for you and hopefully a clearer answer to this issue. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-02-26 17:51:19

@carpe 

I received more infromation from my software teams last night that will help answer your concerns.

The Archer C9 QOS works in 2 ways,  by devices and also applications.  If you choose by device then when active those devices get the priorities.  If you choose application then the rules look at the applications and give those devices running those specific applications priortiy.   QoS is only active when Bandwidth usage is at 100%.  If you aren't using all of your bandwidth the QoS rules will not activate because they aren't actually needed.   As for the database this is now a part of the firmware and manual updates are no longer needed.  We have requested that this be removed from future frimware and the guides to advoid any confusion it may cause.  

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards 

Options
2020-05-09 05:07:00 - last edited 2020-05-09 05:11:19

@Carl 

I'm absolutely shocked, I was a fan of the tp link devices. I bought the archer C9 v5 because was recomended for gaming and have a perfect control of the bandwidth (Amazon's reviews and official specs). 

Now I was talking with the level 2 engineer department and they told me that the "bandwidth controllers" came removed after the C9 V1, exchanged with the QoS... I want to understand how you offer a newest version (v5) with less power, because remove the bandwidth controllers was a "go back" a "worsen" in the offer to the user, because remove the bandwidth control that makes you chose how distribute your bandwidth for a QoS that won't give you this opportunity is a deterioration in the offer.. How you instead improve the experience with the device, you deteriorate that? This is not a "great support" to the users. 

I very very possible won't buy a TP link router again, because I won't know what I'm buying. I won't know if the specs are REAL. I won't know if you will launch to the market a newest version worst than the last version. 

Im very very very disappointed and I know that this won't change the company's guideline, this message won't make you return us the bandwidth controllers and also I know that a very very possible anybody in the support team won't answer this, but, I hope many users read this before buy a TP link device. 

thank you,

francesco 

Options
2020-05-11 17:47:11

@ffasanor 

As with any product from any industry features can change vary between products and even hardware version of the same product.  This does not affect the support that will or is provided nor does it affect the quality of a product.  It simply means that the design and software teams along with the upper management of the company felt the offering of that particular product or product version was in line with the product's design and intent.  

Bandwidth Control and QOS are features akin to each other, but having both on a router can be problematic.  Most customers want an ease of use experiance and QOS is far more intutitive and easy to use than the older Bandwidth control system that it replaced.  On Top of that it one of the key features in our HomeCare Suite.  

Typically a feature won't be removed from an active product, though it is possible.  Instead what we try to do is have features changed between model hardware revisions.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2412

Replies: 4

Related Articles