Questions about Wireless Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-26 00:57:01
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello. Very happy with this router, it is extremely stable.

But now I am deploying OPNSense for IPS / IDS, so I will place the C7 in WAP mode.

Questions:

1) will the 4 LAN ports continue to function as a switch? 

2) will those switch ports pass through 802.11q VLAN tags if I place the WAP behind a managed switch?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Questions about Wireless Access Point mode
2019-02-26 09:28:18
I am having a same problem. Still try to solve this.
Options
2019-02-27 19:25:37

@MattATron 

Theroretically it is possible.  The Archer C7 in AP mode would be getting its address infromation from where ever the DHCP server is located, whether that be the managed switch or the router.  As long as the Managed switch supports 802.11Q Vlan tagging the C7 should act like a unmanaged switch and just pass all data through.  However, some of our routers do a type of VLAN tagging to seperate the Main WiFi from the Guest WiFi.  If you have tried the C7 in WAP and its not passing the traffic this inhernet tagging may be responsible.  We will pose this question to our development team and will update as we get more infromation.

Best Regards 

Options
2019-03-01 16:54:48

@MattATron 

So we did confrim with the Software team and they confrimed that the Archer C7 in AP mode forwards traffic based on MAC address so as long as the Smart Switch has the address in the MAC Table traffic should be forwarded with no issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 714

Replies: 3

Related Articles