WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-06 22:45:12

I have a room with a 4-gang set of standard, normal toggle switches (NOT Decora).

I want to automate (WiFi Alexa or Google compatible) one of the four, not all of them.

But the only kind of WiFi switches I can find are Decora style.

No one makes a switch plate with one Decora hole and three normal toggle switch holes.

So I am faced with replacing all of the switches with Decora style so I can convert one to WiFi.

Does anyone manufacture a WiFi standard toggle light switch?

I would by a boatload of WiFi switches if they fit standard toggle switch plates.

Options
5 Reply
Re:WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora
2019-03-07 00:42:11

@DaleMeyer 

TP-Link does not make a smart switch with a standard lever style.  All of our switch products are the Decora style.  We also, at least at this time do not make a multi-gang switch plate.  I did however find this.  While I can't 100% gaurantee it will work, our switches do work with most Gang-plates that are of standard size.

1 decora 3 standard switch plate

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora
2019-03-07 02:40:35

Thanks for the suggestion on the plate.  I'll have to rearrange the order of the switches in the gang-box, but this is a step in the right direction.

Just out of curiosity, why not produce the TP-Link switches in standard toggle design?  Is there a technical issue?

The previous owner of my house had it built with high quality ornate brass standard design toggle switch covers, and they all match.  To automate with Decora style switches I would have to replace some of the brass switch plates with plastic/nylon.

Again, I would be more likely to buy a switch compatible with my house decor than to change my decor to accomodate a switch.

Does anyone make a WiFi/Alexa/Google switch in standard toggle form?

Carl wrote

@DaleMeyer 

TP-Link does not make a smart switch with a standard lever style.  All of our switch products are the Decora style.  We also, at least at this time do not make a multi-gang switch plate.  I did however find this.  While I can't 100% gaurantee it will work, our switches do work with most Gang-plates that are of standard size.

1 decora 3 standard switch plate

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora
2019-03-07 17:54:31

@DaleMeyer 

I don't really know, my guess is its because the internal mechanics. The manual switch doesn't actually toggle up and down, its just a "click" button so its probbaly due to that, but ive never really asked.  I do know that we don't have palns for that style of switch to come out at any time in the near fuutre.  I will provide your request to the Smart Home team though.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora
2020-06-17 17:35:02

I'm in the same boat as the original poster in that I have expensive cover plates for toggle switchs. My question is, are there any other smart switch manufactures(GE, C ect) that would work with Kasa? My main floor has Decora switchs my second floor has toggle, don't ask why(wife cover plate thing).

Thanks

Terry

Options
Re:Re:WiFi toggle switch-NOT Decora
2020-10-20 21:10:25

The problem with a toggle switch would be a physical one. The toggle is either up or down, but the circuit may be on or off. It would be like a 3 way switch in that the position of the toggle will not indicate the state. Decora smart switches don't have that problem because the buttons are momentary; after you press them, they return to the same position.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1828

Replies: 5