Question About Remote Access To The Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-07 13:19:23
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

Hello All!

I'm new to this group and to TP-Link products. I purchased an Archer C7 AC1750 to use for my house network. 

One of the reasons I purchased a TP-Link was because of the reputation for security. (My next door neighbors are quite adept hackers and are tough to keep at bay.) The router could not accept a complex password, so super-charging the password isn't an option. 

When setting up the router, the manual Section 14.10 on Pages 89 & 90 "Remote Management" discusses "forbid all devices from managing the router remotely". To me, this meant that if I check the box that only devices connected by an ethernet cable to the router can get into the configuration.

Checking the box did not help. I can still WiFi my way into the router and change things at will. 

Tech support said "We are unable to make sure only LAN connected devices can access the router." This seems to conflict with Pages 89 & 90.

Did I misunderstand what pages 89 & 90 discuss?

Is there a way to secure my router so that I must be physically plugged into it in order to see my WiFi passwords and change settings?

Thank You All Very Much for helping out!

Paul

Options
4 Reply
Re:Question About Remote Access To The Router
2019-03-07 17:47:01

@PGB1 

Devices connected to your Wi-Fi are also LAN device.  This is also refered to as WLAN or Wireless LAN.  In the administrative settings you should also have the abilty to restrict router access to only specific devices that you specify.  This is what you should be looking for.  We can help further with that but as UIs change with versions we would need the hardware version to know which UI you have.  Also keep in mind if your neighbors are hacking you, there are legal options you can take.  If you know a hack is happening I would recommend contacting the local authorities.  

Best Regards   

Options
Re:Re:Question About Remote Access To The Router
2019-03-07 22:47:19

Hello Carl,

I apoliogize for my delyed reply. The e-mail notification of replies isn't working for my account. I happened to log in here & saw your reply.

I have Hardware Version v4 and Firmware 1.0.7 Archer C7 AC1750

I think I am confused about connecting to the router to manage it. If I may take more of your time, I'd like to pose some questions that may help me understand:

A) Is there any way to set the router so that only a device physically connected by an ethernet cord from the computer to the router can access the settings?

B) If the answer to "A" is No-

If I go to Advanced - Security - Access Control and put the MAC Address of the computer that I would like to be able to manage the router in the "White List" box: Does

that mean no other device can access the router's settings- even if they 'hack' the router's administrator's password or if they are connected to the network?

I'd feel safe with that plan.

C) If the answer to "B" is Yes-

If the white listed computer is destroyed or stolen, how will I be able to get into the router's configuration in the future?

I've had problem after problem with this device, but have confidence it will all work out and look forward to enjoying this router.

Thank You Again for taking time to help and educate! I appreciate your assistance.

Enjoy Today!

Paul

PS: Thaks for the tip about reporting the neighbor's hacking. The local authorities absoultely do not care.

As far as I know, those pesky neighbors have not done anything malicious yet, beyond using our bandwith and snooping in our e-mail accoutns. They sure are curious about what we do & dumb enough to mention it to us. 

Since the two guys both work for government agencies (in the computer field) I suppose hacking is a challenge for them.

The reputation for security is the primary reason I bought the TP-Link router, so hopefully we can either go with Item "A" or Item "B" above and make it too difficult for them to break in, thus sending them to someone else to pester.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Question About Remote Access To The Router
2019-03-11 18:37:19

@PGB1 

Hi,

A:  Yes go into the router and choose Advanced > Systems Tools > Administration.  Toggle off "Access for all LAN"

Once you do you will see the following menu appear.  Click on View Existing Devices and choose the device or devices you want to allow to be able to access the router's admin fuctions.  

For B:  Access control is for allowing device to access your network and use your network resources like using the internet or shared drive.  It is based on MAC ID.  A whlte list will be the devices you want to allow while a black list would be devices you would want to deny.  Keep in mind that using a Whilte list you will have to allow each device manually, such as if you get a new computer or phone before it can get to the internet.  On the other hand a black list will allow all devices until you block specfiic ones.  

C.  The only way to restore access if the sole computer is no longer available would be to hard reset the router and reconfigure it from default settings.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Question About Remote Access To The Router
2019-03-16 13:50:00

Thank You Carl.

That is a great explaiantion. I think I finally understand. It's good to learn new things!

Enjoy This Day!

Paul

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1702

Replies: 4

Related Articles