Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Firmware Update
Firmware Update
2019-03-10 23:37:08 - last edited 2019-03-11 01:49:43
Model: TC-W7960  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

I'm sorry to create another thread about this, but I don't understand what is going on. I saw that another product (the TP-Link another member of my family has) had a Firmware section, but my product doesn't. I realize that I have a modem/router combo, but shouldn't there be a firmware section still? Here's the link to my modem/router TC-W7960-V1. I don't mind updating firmware and completely understand the process, just can't find the link/software :(

Edit: This isn't needed, it's her phone that is the issue... [Also, I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but we are having issues keeping a stable connection. It seems that our phones don't stream music well (we mostly notice when a song is skipped). Any ideas what this could be?]

Thank you for your time,

Seadoggie

Options
3 Reply
Re:Firmware Update
2019-03-11 18:12:23

@seadoggie With our cable modem/routers, the firmware is updated through the internet service provider. They would push the firmware to the modems for their respective customers.

Typically, when you activate the modem for the first time, the ISP will send the latest firmware that they have which you likely do. You can contact them and have them reactivate the modem to push the latest firmware again as a potential troubleshooting step.

Seems like you found the culprit of the issue, but should you have any additional questions, please do not hesisate to post.

Options
Re:Re:Firmware Update
2019-03-11 23:20:39
Is this true even of modems not purchased through the ISP? I thought I saw here that they wouldn't, though of course I can't find that link now :) (Thank you for your time Tony!)
Options
Re:Re:Re:Firmware Update
2019-03-12 17:32:30

@seadoggie 

Yes, as a requirement by the ISPs any device designed to connect to a Coaxial connection on a cable service provider can only recieve updates via the provider of service.  This is why ISPs have authroized modems/gateways and why you must register the device with them before using it.  This allows the ISPs to regulate and know what is on their service.  Anytime an update is made the manufacture must send it to the ISPs to evaluate.  Once the ISP oks the frimware it is then pushed to the devices via the Coaxial cable connection.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1702

Replies: 3

Related Articles