HELP! Cannot figure out how to use ethernet backhaul on TP-Link Deco m5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-13 03:17:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

So I just moved into a new house recently, and I'm setting up my WiFi. I have a gigabit modem connected to the main Deco. Standing in the same room as that deco, I get ~467mbps on my comcast 400mbps plan. So I went to setup the other deco's via ethernet (my house is wired with ethernet, I'm using a switch that's plugged into the deco), and I plugged them in, updated, and reset with the ethernet cables plugged in. I only get anywhere from 90-150mbps when I'm standing by either deco that isn't the main one, so I am assuming it's not using ethernet as the backhaul. So I went ahead and plugged my apple tv into the ethernet (the one that's connected to the switch), and got 349mbps on speedest. Much better. So I'm wondering, how do I set two of my deco's to use AP mode while having the one being the "main" unit and acting as a router?

Options
2 Reply
Re:HELP! Cannot figure out how to use ethernet backhaul on TP-Link Deco m5
2019-03-13 15:44:15

@ledbylight 

So there is a few things here we can help with.  First, Ethernet backhaul is engaged by default when a connection is detected on one of the Ethernet ports of a "remote" Deco unit.  So, there is nothing you need to do to activate it other than plug in an ethernet cable to the unit and the other end to the port on your wall.  For the low speeds there are a few potential issues.  1.  The ethernet that was ran was not Cat5e or higher so the speeds are limited to 10/100.  2.  The Ethernet ran could potentially be bad.  3.  The ethernet being used to connect the Deco to the wall outlet is not Cat5e or higher. And lastly, the switch may only have 10/100 ports.  Any of these 4 issues could potentially be the cause of the low speed on ethternet backhaul.   

As for the modes of the Decos  They all share the same mode so if you are using the Deco as a router (we recommend this) then you do not need to change the mode of the "remote" units.  In fact you can swap out the units and change which is the "base" or main unit and which is "remote".  Another thing to note is to make sure the firmware is always up to date. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:HELP! Cannot figure out how to use ethernet backhaul on TP-Link Deco m5
2019-03-13 18:16:28

Ok thank you, my house is wired with cat5e and I'm using all cat6 cables. I seemed to have gotten one of the nodes working, but one is still not working so I will try a different portr in my house. Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2533

Replies: 2