Enable Bonjour for AirPrint

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-02 03:42:45 - last edited 2019-04-07 19:43:05
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.18.1 Build 171030 Rel.43957n

I have an AirPrint printer (HP OfficeJet 6700) that works great with all of my Apple devices when it is hooked to WiFi.  I recently finished wiring my house for wired-ethernet, and hooked my printer into the hardwired network.  Now I can only see it from my MacBook, and only when it is also "plugged in".  If I unplug the OfficeJet and put it back on WiFi, I can see it from my devices when they are on WiFi.  When I plug it back in, it disappears from all WiFi devices.

From what I can find out from HP, the AirPrint function should continue to work - even when hard-wired to ethernet - over the wireless router that is plugged into the same ethernet system.  My best guess is that Bonjour is not enabled on the router - or, perhaps more accurately, there is some setting that is inadvertently blocking the Bonjour communications.

Can anyone offer help on what setting to tweak within the TL-WR940N that will allow the Bonjour/AirPrint communication to not get blocked?  I have some input that the TL-WR940N does not support Bonjour, but this seems really unlikely to me.  Why would something like that be intentionally blocked and/or omitted from a brand new router?  I got the router about 9 months ago - and AirPrint has been around WAY longer than that!  It seems more likely that there is some accidental blockage setting giving me fits - but I don't know enough to find it on my own.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Enable Bonjour for AirPrint-Solution
2019-04-07 19:43:00 - last edited 2019-04-07 19:43:05

SOLVED!!!

After snooping around inside the management portal, I noticed that there are different “modes” available.  I switched the mode from “router” to “access point” and now everything works as expected.

Woo-hoo!  Simple solution once you find it... 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Enable Bonjour for AirPrint
2019-04-02 20:07:12

@Cyrano 

What you described is how AirPrint works, it requires a wireless connection. If you are looking to connect your printer with Ethernet cable, then you can look at adding the printer as you would any typical network printer.

Options
Re:Re:Enable Bonjour for AirPrint
2019-04-03 01:52:28

Yes - I know that AirPrint is a WiFi thing.  How do I draw the picture without a pen...? frown

Let’s say that <...> is a wireless connection, and <—> is a wired connection.

When the link chain is Device <...> Wireless Router <...> OfficeJet, things work.

When the link is Device <—> Ethernet Hub <—> OfficeJet, things work.

I am told by HP that Device <...> Wireless Router <—> Ethernet Hub <—> OfficeJet should also work... but it does not.  I can’t even see the printer.

My suspicion, based on some web browsing, is that the Bonjour info is not making it through the router - hence my question about settings.  The word “multi-something” comes up a lot... but then I get lost in the jargon...

Thanks again - still looking for answers!

Options
Re:Enable Bonjour for AirPrint
2019-04-07 15:32:05

Ping...

Options
Re:Re:Enable Bonjour for AirPrint-Solution
2019-04-07 19:43:00 - last edited 2019-04-07 19:43:05

SOLVED!!!

After snooping around inside the management portal, I noticed that there are different “modes” available.  I switched the mode from “router” to “access point” and now everything works as expected.

Woo-hoo!  Simple solution once you find it... 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5226

Replies: 4