Archer C5 address reservation not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-26 16:13:26 - last edited 2019-04-26 16:43:28
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

For various reasons, I need to have my computer's IP address be static. Unfortunately, despite putting it into the DHCP/Address Reservation table, it winds up being non-static. Why is that and how do I fix it? Power cycle reset does not work.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C5 address reservation not working-Solution
2019-04-26 16:43:24 - last edited 2019-04-26 16:44:30

It turns out that there's a "secret" firmware that fixes this problem and you have to contact support to get it.

<secure>:<slash-slash>static.tp-link.com/res/down/soft/Archer_C5_V1_151111.zip

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C5 address reservation not working-Solution
2019-04-26 16:43:24 - last edited 2019-04-26 16:44:30

It turns out that there's a "secret" firmware that fixes this problem and you have to contact support to get it.

<secure>:<slash-slash>static.tp-link.com/res/down/soft/Archer_C5_V1_151111.zip

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C5 address reservation not working
2019-04-30 20:50:46

@BrKorb 

Hi Br,  This is not a super secert frimware.  What actually is going on is the Version 1 was not acutally sold in the US.  In the US V1.20 and V2 were the only versions of the C5 sold in the US.  If you happen to have a true V1 it is likely from another region. 

As DHCP address reservation is really a faux static IP, if you have anymore issues let us know and we can tell you how to set a true static IP up.

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Archer C5 address reservation not working
2019-06-17 18:32:36
Hmm. Seems I missed the email about this reply. If DHCP address reservations are implemented as "faux" static routing and is, in essence, a faked feature, then how does the "advanced routing -> static routes" work? Would *THAT* information be stashed away in the saved config file? If so, why wouldn't the address reservation table? If neither are saved, then please be kind enough to tell your firmware programmers that this is something that *MUST* be fixed. I have a printer and *three* file servers on my LAN and it is not my idea of fun to re-establish their addresses, even if it only happens every few years. It is an ugly nuisance that stops me from working on what I need to be doing.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C5 address reservation not working
2019-06-17 22:50:07

If you want a static IP address set that from your computer not from the router.

Options
Archer C5 address reservation not restoring
2019-06-17 23:21:44

Not all NAS or printer devices let ya do that. Other devices cannot advertise their names via the Tp-Link, so local DNS doesn't work. So, really, the simplest is to set up static routing for certain devices and you do that on the router. There is support for it on the router. That should be part of the saved configuration. That it is not is a dumb oversight that should be rectified.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3313

Replies: 5