Parental Controls on M5 now block Avast! Anti-Virus ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-24 13:21:06
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

After upgrading to 1.3.0 firmware last night, my M5 units are suddenly blocking and sending notifications to my iPhone that my child's computer attempted to visit Avast.  Avast is the anti-virus we use on the computers.  She was setup as a pre-teen profile in the parental controls.  I changed it to teen, and it still was sending notifications, about every 5 minutes.  So then I changed the filter level to Adult and just explicitly blocked "adult content", "gamb***g", and "pay to surf", and "s*x education" ...  (funny that this forum wont let me use those words) and its still blocking Avast and sending out notifications.  I'm not sure which of those 4 categories Avast anti-virus falls into, but I don't think it should be blocked by any of those 4 choices.  

Has anyone else seen this issue?  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Parental Controls on M5 now block Avast! Anti-Virus ?
2019-05-24 16:25:51

@HamGunner 

@CSEngineer mentioned in his own thread (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/161584?page=1) disabling the "Infected Device Quarantine" has helped. You can find that by going into the Deco app, select "More" on the bottom right, then go to "Antivirus", move the ticker to it is to the left so it is grey. 

Options
2019-05-28 12:52:08

Removing the "pay to surf" filter fixed this for me... apparently avast anti-virus is considered pay to surf.  :)

Options
Re:Re:Parental Controls on M5 now block Avast! Anti-Virus ?
2019-05-31 00:49:54

@HamGunner 

Tahnk you for the infromation we will relay this to our development team.  If we hear anything we will be sure to let you know. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-09-28 19:09:30

@HamGunner Similar problem on tplink AC2300 (Archer2300) router. Using "Pay to Surf" under Parental Controls blocks Windows Updates and Norton LiveUpdate. This needs to be fixed!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1138

Replies: 4