Best wired backhual M5 topology with ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 router + 16-port GbE Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Best wired backhual M5 topology with ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 router + 16-port GbE Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-30 07:00:06
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have ATT Fiber 1000 with an Arris BGW210-700 router+4 port switch+WiFi and I'd like to add two M5 mesh pods.  i have a few hardwired ethernet devices using a TP-Link 16port GbE Switch and I'd like to know the best topology for the M5s?

I was thinking, can I run:

Internet -> BGW210 port 1 -> 1st M5 hardware ethernet port1 + ethernet port2  to -> 16 port Switch -> 2nd M5 port1.

or

Can I still use the other 3 Ethernet ports from BGW210 port 1 to -> (1st M5 Eth port 1) AND (BGW210 port 2 to) -> (2nd M5 Eth port 1) AND (BGW210 Port 3 to-> 16-port Switch

or

BGW210 port 1 -> 16-port ethernet port 1 and port 2 to -> 1st and 2nd M5 port1.

---

Also, the Parental Controls feature are very important, and the reason I purchased the M5.  I read that if I use the M5 in AP mode, I loose this HomeCare functionality.  Is this correct?

Do I need to the Arris BGW in IP Passthrough mode?  I can't find a bridging mode?  When I use IP Passthrough mode, does that mean I can't use any of the other 3 ethernet ports?

Please advise. Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Best wired backhual M5 topology with ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 router + 16-port GbE Switch
2019-05-30 15:34:25

I am using a Deco M5 3 pack with AT&T Fiber 1000.  I have the older NVG589 router but I believe the configuration options on the AT&T routers are the same.  I read that to use the parental controls and virus/malware checker you have to run the M5 in router mode and the other M5's have to be paired with it.  The reason, I suppose, is that the M5 in router mode talks to TrendMicro and TP-Link to get updates of websites to block and virus definitions.

I have the NVG589 configured in IP passthrough mode with all incoming traffic passed to the M5 router.  Connected to the M5 router is my TP-Link 16 port switch so all my wired and wireless devices are on the same subnet and are assigned IPs from the M5 DHCP.  I have the other two M5s pretty far apart so I have them connected by ethernet to the switch and use the ethernet backhaul feature.

The 3 remaining ethernet ports on the NVG589 still work and anything connected to them will be assigned an IP on a different subnet from the M5.  Devices connected to the M5 can't see devices connected to the NVG589.

Options
Re:Re:Best wired backhual M5 topology with ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 router + 16-port GbE Switch
2019-05-30 20:44:41

@RSF 

You are correct.  The HomeCare suite can only work in routed mode because traffic must route from the Deco to Trendmicro to be evaluated.  With the Decos in AP mode this function cannot be achieve, the same for any routing feature.  Since the Deco is no longer routing none of those features will work as well. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Best wired backhual M5 topology with ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 router + 16-port GbE Switch
2019-05-30 20:56:52

@Flo_St. 

While we won't be able to answer questions regarind the AT&T device, we can help with the Deco M5.  i do see that @RSF was able to provide personal insight on the ATT device  though.  

For the Deco, all routing features are disabled during AP mode.  The reason is because the Deco become a passthrough device geting its routing and IP information from the ATT gateway.  For this reason the HomeCare Suite is disabled.  The Deco is not able to route traffic to the Trendmico

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2934

Replies: 3