Deco M9 and VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 and VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Deco M9 and VPN
2021-01-21 09:36:47

Any update from TP-Link? For usage on M9

Options
2021-01-23 06:49:27

@Squav 

Is there any update at all? I am so disappointed and seriously regret believing the reviews for this deco mesh unit. I fell into the trap of just expecting any well rated router to have at least the basic WEB interface and not this horrible APP based management.

I really wish I could find the person or persons who wrote the reviews and have some choice words with them. Furthermore I really wish I could trash this mesh router that I recommended to family members.

EVERYTHING about this mesh router frustrates me with the exception of the hardware specs, which are at least half-decent.

1. I don't like being forced to use a phone based app

2. I don't like the limited set of features

3. I don't like the phone based app

4. I want/need a web interface that doesn't treat me like a CHILD

5. I don't like the phone based app

6. I'm really tired of reading all the posts that say "they are working on adding that" - all which are dated months or often well over a year in the past

If anyone read this, please run from this router.... unless they, by some magic, add a traditional web interface and/or allow customized firmware.... you WILL regret it when things don't work and you get stuck trying to get help with support that will make horrible suggestions and just frustrate you more.

Run far far far away..

I myself have sworn I will never buy another tplink product, ever, based on this single purchase, and being a consultant, I am going to do my best to make sure I tell everyone I possibly can to never buy them.

ugg... i'm frustrated. Whoever thought up this idea, without leaving in a web interace, should be fired.

Options
2021-06-19 22:34:23

@Carl 

Are there any news about this?

Options
2021-06-21 17:23:13

@SrDarkWarrior 

No nothing new has been provided yet.

Options
Re:Deco M9 and VPN — Using In PassThrough Mode
2021-12-11 16:35:25

@Carl I bought the M9 Plus  assuming it worked with a VPN and now know differently (can't return the Deco or I would). I moved overseas and need the VPN primarily for Netflix etc. A workaround  I have come up with is to put my NordVPN on my old Asus router, and put the asus in between my smart LG TV and the M9 Plus (using ethernet). The VPN on the Asus would hopefully go through the Deco in passthrough mode. Question: the NordVPN on the Asus is OpenVPN, not one of the other standards like IPSec. Will it passthrough the Deco successfully? What configurations do I have to do on the deco app to make that work. Thanks.

Options
Re:Deco M9 and VPN — Using In PassThrough Mode
2021-12-13 17:50:18

@Whiteplainsrob 

The VPN traffic that can pass through the Deco or any of our routers are either IPSec, PPTP, or L2TP.  If the OpenVPN traffic is based on one of those than it should.  Another option that might work is running a VPN client directly on your PC.  If the PC initates the VPN that should work as well.  As long as the traffic is IPSec, PPTP or L2TP.

Options
Related Articles