USB-C HDD drive connected to TP-Link Archer C3150 - problems with speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-05 06:05:49 - last edited 2019-06-05 06:07:25

Hello!

First off, I am very happy with the C3150 so far - admittedly I probably payed for more tech than I could possibly need, but it saved me the headache of reading more articles about networks and routers. It´s simply not something I have the patience for anymore reminiscing about fiddling with anything related to “network” stuff in the late 90´s and early 20´s. This time it was almost simply plug and play – so awesome - and it looks good:). It didnt change my downloadspeed on the PC which was connected with a kabel to my old router (speed tests put me at around 210/220 and uploading at around 99 (have a 250/100 connection)), but my wireless speeds went up from around 20-25 to the same speeds as if I was connected with a wire.

But, in conjunction with buying the router I also bought an external HDD (USB 3) that I intended to plug into the router so that I could use it for storing movies whilst having access to the HDD both from the computer and my TV. There was no problem accessing the HDD from either the PC or the TV, but read/write speeds is an issue. Whatever I tried I simply did not get the results I was after and seemed to be limited to write speeds around 20 Mb/s.

I read the manual but the only way I seem to be able to connect to the HDD from the computer was via either the two fttp:// addresses below and they seem to use the internet to transfer/read the HDD and thus I am limited to my internet connections speed (250/100). My max download speed is around 24 mb/s.

I figured since the HDD is directly connected to the router and the computer and TV are directly connected to the router also, I would be able to get much higher speeds that than. If I cant then I don’t see the use off connecting it to the router at all and will just connect it directly to the PC when I need to transfer something to it and then connect it to the TV when I need to watch something from it.

Am I doing something wrong or simply using the wrong way of accesing the HDD from the computer?

It doesn’t show on the table below but Media Server and Network Neighborhood are enabled, but I don’t know how to access via them.

Enable

Access Method

Access

Port

Media Server

--

--

Network Neighborhood

\\Router_HDD

--

FTP

ftp://192.168.0.1:xx

FTP (via Internet)

ftp://98.128.161.xx:xx

Regards,

Christian B

Options
2 Reply
Re:USB-C HDD drive connected to TP-Link Archer C3150 - problems with speed
2019-06-05 18:40:23

@ChristianB 

So for the Media Share feature all then you should have to do is plug the drive in,  Wait for the USB light to go on.  Log into the rotuer click on Advanced, then USB settings and finally Device settings.  Make sure you drive is there and active.  From there any DNLA device will be or should be able to see and read the content on the drive, as long as its in a format that is reable by that device.  

For PC you can either open a run command box and put the network neighborhood address in 

or open you network settings and clck on media devices 

Last thing to consider is the format of the drive.  It should be one of the following:  Fat, Fat32, exFat, NTFS, or HFS+.  

Hope this helps.

Options
Re:Re:USB-C HDD drive connected to TP-Link Archer C3150 - problems with speed
2019-06-20 03:43:24
Formatting the drive with one of the FAT choices will probably give you speedier reads and writes than NTFS.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1465

Replies: 2