Using guest network for IoT VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-13 16:36:15
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a Deco M5 system running in WAP mode using Ethernet for the backhaul. (My wired router is the TP-Link TL-R470T+)

I want to use the guest network as an isolated 2.4GHz-only VLAN for IoT devices. Because I have privacy/security concerns about the firmware in these cheap IoT devices, I want to make sure they have access to the internet -- but not to devices on the main network. It seems like the guest network on the Deco M5 has very limited configuration options. I would appreciate suggestions on how to best configure the guest network and router to accomplish my goals.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Using guest network for IoT VLAN
2019-06-17 18:24:21

@ErniePantuso 

We have engaged our software team to assist in your question.  As soon as I have word I will let you know.

Options
Re:Re:Using guest network for IoT VLAN
2019-07-18 17:52:34

I'm also interested in this question, is there any update?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Using guest network for IoT VLAN
2019-07-18 21:55:31

I haven’t heard anything from the software team. Seems they’re Nite-nite very engaged. 

Options
2019-07-26 00:12:03

@ErniePantuso 

We haven't heard anything back from the Design team, but truthfully we normally don't.  As they receive request all the time from all regions we normally don't hear anything about new features until they are annouced.  

Re-reading your thread however i don't think it will be something they can do.  While our SMB EAP series WAP have VLAN functions, our Home based products do not.  Because seperate VLANs is typically a feature you find in business products you may want to look into our EAP series WAPs.  

Also since you are using  Load Ballance SMB router, why not simply set the VLAN up in the router, since it is doing the IP addressing anyway that would be the more logical place to setup the vlan.

Options
2022-01-12 18:25:53

@Carl any update on this?

Smart homes are fairly common now and many users will have concerns regarding IOT devices. 

A separate vlan for them would be a very useful and logical feature. 

Options
2022-01-12 19:57:05

@DisordaNTFC 

No.  At this time I have not been infromed of any plans to put the Guest Network on a seperate VLAN.  However, you can already filter guest devices from being able to communicate with devices on the main network.  If that is what your plan was. Right now the only routers that can setup seperate vlans are out buisness class VPN routers.   

Options