Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-16 03:32:06 - last edited 2019-07-16 17:10:08
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Not clear on this issue and can't find it on the site.  I'm using a pair of TL-PA4010s to provide Internet access for my Roku box, which is outside Wi-Fi range.  Can I purchase another pair of 4010s and use one of them as a second link back to my router for another device, like a computer?  OR does each pair of 4010s only pair with its mate, so I'd have to connect a second 4010 to my router LAN port?  Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?-Solution
2019-07-16 17:08:45 - last edited 2019-07-16 17:10:08

Thanks, Carl, I did some more reading on the site and now understand what 'nodes' are.  I also downloaded the plc software and 'discovered' the two units I already have on my network.  I assume this is where I add another and specify its intended use, so I ought to be good-to-go when the extra 4010s are delivered.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?
2019-07-16 16:57:06

@Electrojim 

This FAQ will let you know how many adapters or nodes can be connected to a single adapter.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/434/  keep in mind the network will be as slow as the slowest adapter.  

Options
Re:Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?-Solution
2019-07-16 17:08:45 - last edited 2019-07-16 17:10:08

Thanks, Carl, I did some more reading on the site and now understand what 'nodes' are.  I also downloaded the plc software and 'discovered' the two units I already have on my network.  I assume this is where I add another and specify its intended use, so I ought to be good-to-go when the extra 4010s are delivered.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?
2019-07-17 16:49:23

@Electrojim 

Hi Jim,  Yes on the back of each adapter is a Alpha Numeric Powerline "Key"  just click on "add" then type the key for easy pairing.

Options
Re:Can one Powerline Adapter allow multiple 'slaves'?
2019-07-17 17:13:20

Got it, Carl, thanks.  Looking forward to expanding my PLC network.  I'm amazed that the tp-link gear I've had in place for a couple of years now can communicate over house wiring that is so choc-full of noise.  Good job!  The tp-link connection between my router and Roku box even coexists with another PLC system that's a proprietary part of my solar system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1740

Replies: 4