use d-link router as downstream switch from TP-Link router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-07 15:27:03
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I tried doing some searches for this issue in forums and could not find one so here we go...

I currently use a TP-Link Archer C1200 wireless router with my own cable modem from Spectrum Cable. I have used all the switch ports on the C1200 and I am trying to extend my wired network.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit Wireless Router that I have configured to disable the wireless and DHCP server function - basically it is a wired switch.

I have made all the necessary changes on the D-Link that I think I need (including disable UPnP and multicast)

Is there anything I need to do on the C1200 to allow this downstream switch to get out to the Internet? So far, I am able to ping my default gateway (the C1200) and other computers on the LAN, but I cannot get out to the Internet.

DNS is set to use the C1200 IP address as primary and Google DNS as backup.

Are there any changes I need to make on the C1200 to get this traffic out to the Internet?

Thanks in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:use d-link router as downstream switch from TP-Link router
2019-08-07 16:41:47

@pinto4598 

Here is a FAQ that we have which turns one TP-Link router into an AP: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/417/

There are mainly three things done on the "extender"

1. Make sure the IP is the same subnet as the main router

2. Disable DHCP

3. Connect the Ethernet cable from the LAN of the main router to the LAN (not WAN or internet) of the "extender"

Options
Re:Re:use d-link router as downstream switch from TP-Link router
2019-08-09 23:37:07

Thanks Tony

Im not trying to use the downstream dlink as an AP, I'm only using the wired switch part.

I've tried those 3 things and still cannot ping Internet addresses, like 8.8.8.8 or www.google.com. When pinging, i get RTO

Is there any setting on the TP Link that would block this? My main router is pretty barebones, I turned off all port forwarding and stuff like that.

Options
Re:use d-link router as downstream switch from TP-Link router
2019-08-13 19:41:15

@pinto4598 

In reference to the previous setup, the rest of the LAN ports should give you network connectivity.

Have you tried just leaving both in default configuration, and run the LAN of the TP-Link to the WAN of the D-Link?

You will have double NAT, but you should have internet. Similar to connecting a router to a ISP router. And can do port forwarding for any device that needs to talk locally.

Options
Re:Re:use d-link router as downstream switch from TP-Link router
2019-08-13 19:46:47

I could try that, didn't even consider it an option. I'll keep you posted - thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3429

Replies: 4