Can't access a specific website

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-10 12:07:57
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1

Hello,

I have not been able to connect to a specific web site, "Apollo Lunar Surface Joural" from any device connected to my wifi router for a few days now.  I was connected up to it a few days ago on my desktop and all of the sudden when I clicked on a link on that page I received a can't access the web page message.  Ever since that time I have not been able to connect up on any device connected to my wifi router.

Things I have tried:

I tried accessing the web page on various devices both hard wired and via wifi that are connected to my router with no luck.
I tried turning off the wifi on my phone and I was able to access the web page, then I turned the wifi back on and I could not access it.
I successfully accessed the website from my work computer.
I did a ipconfig/dnsflush on my desktop computer and that did not fix the issue.
I changed the DNS settings on my desktop computer to the OpenDNS settings and that did not fix the issue.
I tired resetting by turning off both my cable "router" and my wifi router and letting sit for awhile before turning back on and that did not fix the issue.

I can connect to an archived web page of this site via the wayback machine archival website.

I contacted my ISP provider and they suggested that I try to connect my computer up directly to the cable modem to bypass the wifi router and see if I can get to the website.  They confirmed that they could access that web page from their end.  I could not connect my computer up directly at the time I contacted my provider, but tried at a later time, however I was not able to get a network connection when I tried connecting my computer up directly at a later time (not sure what I did wrong there).

Any ideas on what is causing this issue or suggestions on what to do to fix this issue?  I've thought about chaning the DNS settings on my router to the OpenDNS settings.  But a bit hesitant about trying that because not sure what affect that might have on anything else connected up to my wifi router (I have ALOT of stuff connected to my wifi router).  Also if it did not help by changing the settings on my computer, would it possibly help if I changed it on my wifi router?   My wifi router is a TP Link AC1900 and my internet service provider is Spectrum cable.

Options
19 Reply
Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-11 11:53:26

It's not your router per se. It may be the DNS server you are using or a problem with your browser. 

Site works fine for me after having to look up the link (spelling mistake and all) because you did not provide it. 

Options
Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-12 01:16:13

Thanks for the reponse.

I feel like I've ruled out a browser issue as I have tried multiple browsers on my desktop and I have tried the browser on my ipad and iphone and could not access the website on any of the above.  All of them connected to my router (destop hardwired and Ipad & Iphone via wifi).  Also I tried turning the wifi off, so that it was using my cell phone plans internet access instead of through my router, on my Iphone and it did access the website normally.  I then turned the Iphone wifi back on and again was not able to access the web site.

I also suspect its a DNS server issue.  I did try setting up OpenDNS on my computer to test the DNS theory, but still could not access the website.  I'm not sure though if I set it up correctly (I don't know to much about DNS) or if it doesn't matter setting it up on my computer, because I'm still going through my router.  Would I need to set up open DNS on my router to properly test if its a DNS issue?  Is there any downside to setting up my router with Open DNS?  Also not quite sure how to setup something like Open DNS on my router?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-12 03:03:05 - last edited 2019-08-12 03:03:44

In the advanced network tab of your router setup, temporarily change the Primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (Google's public server) and re-try.

If it works, the DNS cache of your original DNS server is probably corrupt.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-12 17:49:02
Thanks for the help, however I still can't access it after changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 After changing the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 I shut down everything and restarted and still no access. Tried multiple browsers on my desktop and multiple different devices connected up to my TP-Link router. I still can as detailed previously access it from my iPhone when I turn off the wifi setting and use my cell phone data package for the internet on my phone. Not sure what else to try???
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-12 18:23:49

@thammond 

The Router has a stateful packet inspection firewall, but this should not be blocking access.  If you have enabled access control or parental controls and do not have the site on the black/white list that could be the cause.  Also another cause could be the ISP itself is blocking the site.  They have been know to do that in the past for a site that doesn't pass their inspection.  If your modem is a gateway and is operating as a router then the issue could be double NAT.  Please check these items and let us know. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-13 11:01:27

I checked and I don't have access or parental controls enabled.

I don't know how to check if my modem is a gateway or operating as a router?  I get my internet through the local cable tv provider.  The cable connects to a modem that the cable tv provider installed.  The modem is connected to my router via an ethernet cable.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't access a specific website
2019-08-13 11:05:22

Also I contacted my cable tv internet provider and they confirmed that they could access the web site from their end.  I will try connecting a laptop up directly to the cable modem later to see if I can access the web site that way.

Options
2019-08-17 05:33:35

Same problem with my router too, cant access samsung.com, when i tried connecting directly from modem it works, Router is blocking this site dont know why

Firmware Version:

3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Hardware Version:

Archer C7 v2 00000000

Options
2019-08-17 10:21:08

Disconnect from any VPN you might be using. Some sites will reject a connection thru known VPN IP addresses.

I just connected to the Apollo Journal and Samsung sites thru my C9 V1. The Samsung site automatically re-directed me to their Canadian site because they picked up my ISP's location. Switching to a European VPN, Samsung connected me to their Netherlands site.

In both cases, typing in Apollo Lunar Surface Journal brought up a search engine page first with the real site name.

Options
2019-08-17 13:46:51

I don't believe I have any VPN setup.  I weas able to access the website by connecting my laptop up directly to my modem.  So it would seem, based on all the testing I have done, that for some reason it is my router blocking access to that web site.  I just can't figure out why or how to correct it.  Unless someone has a idea, I guess I will set everything to factory default settings on my router to see if that fixes the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9378

Replies: 19

Related Articles