Router or AP Operational Mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-14 17:24:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I just installed a Deco M5 two unit system in my home.  Base unit is attached to an Apple Airport Exreme (wifi turned off) which is conneted to a modem via ethernet.  When the M5 was installed it came up in router operational mode.  I then went back and change it to AP mode.  However, I understand that several features are turned off in the AP mode.  So, which operational mode is best for my situation and why?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router or AP Operational Mode?
2019-08-15 00:17:00

@Nuuk1 

In AP mode all of the value and features, other than Mesh networking between the nodes is disabled.  This is because these features require the unit to operate as a router.  The best solution for you if you want to use these features is to remove the Airport from the network and use the Deco as your router and wireless access points.  Unless you have a specific need to keep the Airport in the network it does not bring any value and only will cause one of two issues.  1.  Decos remain in AP mode and all routing features are disabled making them more or less expensive APs.  2.  Keep it in place and put the Deco in Router mode and deal with Double NAT and the issues that brings.  

Options
Re:Re:Router or AP Operational Mode?
2019-08-15 01:50:18

Carl, thanks for your input.  Being relatively unsophiscated in the networking arena, I guess I thought that the Deco would just piggyback on the Airport and extend the Airport network.  As I saw during setup of the Deco, that didn't happen and the Deco set up its own network. So now I see your point, why is the Airport there at all?  It's not really providing any value.  Guess I'll try just taking it out of the setup and plugging the ethernet connection I have going to it directly into the Deco.  Sounds like a plan.....   Thanks.

BTW, what is the Double NAT you mentioned?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 737

Replies: 2

Related Articles