Archer C9 V1 access control set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-30 20:03:31 - last edited 2019-08-31 05:05:42
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1 Build 20180125 Rel.56387n

Hi everyone.

I have the C9 V1 unit as above, and my incoming cable router is a Netgear. From that I have a LAN feed to my C9.

Every so often - like once a year since 2015! - I try and understand how to set up access control, but I don't see the devices in the TP-Link interface that are connected to the C9. The manual is of no help, and Googling the hell out of this has not borne any fruit. What am I doing wrong?!

I see connected devices when logging into the Netgear interface, and I hate to say this, but the C9 appears to be a lot more complicated.

Any suggestions that I could try would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C9 V1 access control set up
2019-08-31 00:01:41

@KRO-Blues 

Access Control is a routing function that allows you to control what devices are allowed on your network and which are not. This is based on the MAC address of the client device.  Your network setup is also a big part of it.  For instance you have a netgear cable router.  Is this device operating as a modem and a router or just a router?  Your C9 is it setup as an AP or is it being used as a router? 

Options
Re:Re:Archer C9 V1 access control set up
2019-08-31 04:59:47 - last edited 2019-09-05 17:06:33

Thanks Carl.

"For instance you have a netgear cable router.  Is this device operating as a modem and a router or just a router?"

The Netgear device is acting in both capacities Carl. As the LAN ports are full, I run a cable to the C9 to gain additional ports.

"Your C9 is it setup as an AP or is it being used as a router?"

AP being an 'access point'? No, I use it as a router Carl.

Thank you again.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C9 V1 access control set up
2019-09-03 17:52:15

@KRO-Blues 

Ok great thanks for the updated info.  Since both routers are being used as routers this usually indicates a double NAT scenario.  However this should have no affect on the access control in the TP-link router.  Try going to Advanced - Network - DHCP Server and then looking at the DHCP Client List.  See if you see your devices here first.  If you do then you can go to Advanced - Security - Access Control.  Frist check your "online" devices and see if the list matches?  If so then choose if you want this to be a whitelist (devices to have access) or a blacklist (Devices banned).  at the bottom click on the "+" to add, choose from the list or manually enter and save.  

If no devices are showing "Online" it could be due to the double NAT, and here is why.  The router may see the WAN IP address and a private IP, and therefore possible thinking the devices are not online because of this.  Really the only way to rule it out would be to put the Netgear device in brindge mode and see if the issue still occurs.  

Altrernativly if you are just trying to get more ethernet ports I would suggest an unmannaged switch as your best option.  You can pick up a TL-SG1008 for really cheap and you don't have to worry about trying to configure a 2nd device.  

Best 

Options
Re:Archer C9 V1 access control set up
2019-09-05 17:04:00

Hi Carl, and thanks for your informative response!

Since both routers are being used as routers this usually indicates a double NAT scenario.  However this should have no affect on the access control in the TP-link router.  Try going to Advanced - Network - DHCP Server and then looking at the DHCP Client List.  See if you see your devices here first. 

Yes, my device was listed.

If you do then you can go to Advanced - Security - Access Control.  Frist check your "online" devices and see if the list matches?  If so then choose if you want this to be a whitelist (devices to have access) or a blacklist (Devices banned).  at the bottom click on the "+" to add, choose from the list or manually enter and save.

Sigh, no sign of my device!

If no devices are showing "Online" it could be due to the double NAT, and here is why.  The router may see the WAN IP address and a private IP, and therefore possible thinking the devices are not online because of this.  Really the only way to rule it out would be to put the Netgear device in brindge mode and see if the issue still occurs.  

Got it. Good advice. However, I did go ahead and disable NAT boost in the C9 interface to see if devices would show up in access control, but still no go. Consequently I re-enabled NAT boost. 

Altrernativly if you are just trying to get more ethernet ports I would suggest an unmannaged switch as your best option.  You can pick up a TL-SG1008 for really cheap and you don't have to worry about trying to configure a 2nd device. 

That's a great idea, but as the C9 provides wifi to my teeange kids methinks I'll just stay with the set-up I have.

You've helped me understand the process a whole lot better, so if I want to make changes in the future I'll know how to implement them.

I thank you for your great help Carl!. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1093

Replies: 4