LAN-side DHCP and NAT with TL-WA901ND

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-09 04:04:20
Model: TL-WA901ND  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

I intend to use the TL-WA901ND in my apartment where the landlord provides free WiFi.  They only allow 8 devices and we have more than that.  I want to use the TL-WA901ND in Bridge with AP mode.  In this mode, will it handle NAT and DHCP for my devices, using only one IP address for the building WiFi?  I do not want it to pass DHCP through to the building router, I want it to handle DHCP on the Wireless LAN side in my apartment.  Will it handle NAT properly and allow all my devices to access the internet?

Options
3 Reply
Re:LAN-side DHCP and NAT with TL-WA901ND
2019-09-09 21:44:27

@nasetheace 

Actually to acomplish what you want to do you will need to do the following.  TL-WA901ND in Client mode.  Connect it to a computer and link it to the Free WiFi from your landlord.  Then connect it to a Router that you configured on a seperate subnet.  You may still have to deal with Double NAT issues but as long you are not port Forwarding this should not be an issue.  

You can also try a TL-WR902AC in WISP mode, though the range on this small form factor devices may not be that great.  

Options
2019-09-09 22:36:47

OK - so you don't make a single device that can do this?  I still need a separate router for my LAN no matter what I use?

Options
2019-09-10 19:42:10

@nasetheace 

If you plan to stick with the TL-WA901ND you will need another device (router). 

But we do have a portable router that can do this such as the TL-WR902AC, here is a FAQ that shows how to set it up so you share the wireless connection, and the device acts like a router: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2032/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1867

Replies: 3