WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

2019-09-17 02:20:35
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190810 rel.50990(5553)

Hello, 

I have my device in Access point mode as I have another router handling the DHCP portion of the network. 

I have multiple devices connected to the Wifi network and yet only one device shows connected when I log into the management page. 

Shouldn't all the devices show up un the WIFI section? I am trying to verify who is connected to the Wifi portion of my network. 

I have verified all the devices are on the correct network with the correct subnet masks. I have also verified on my DHCP server that they are active, but again I want to verify this on the TP-link WIFI section. 

Any help would be great. 

Thanks

Options
133 Reply
Re:WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients
2019-09-18 22:09:37

@alien-link 

Hello Allen,  

We tested ourselves and replicated the possible issue.  We are in contact with our HQ engineers to see if this is on purpose and if so why or if it is a bug.  Once we have word we will provide an update. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-11-10 16:41:12

@Carl Hi!

Same problem here. Is there a solution already?

- TP-Link Archer A9

- Current firmware: 1.0.99 Build 20190515 rel.67448(5553)

- Hardware version: Archer A9 v6.0

Thank you.

Options
2019-11-10 19:28:38

@Carl Hi Carl,

Did you guys hear back from the developers on this?

Is there a patch out for it yet? 

Thanks

Options
2019-11-11 17:12:23

@alien-link 

Nothing yet but we are following up with the R and D and will let you know what they say.

Options
2019-11-22 01:18:48

@alien-link 

Got word back today.  This is actually a known issue.  The reason the clients are not showing up is because the AP is communicating with the main router via Arp.  If you ping the AP's IP address from the client device it will then reconize it is connected to the AP and show up locally in the client table.  

Options
2019-11-22 16:35:43

Thank you for the feedback, @Carl.

In my case, this issue happens even when my TP-Link Archer A9 is the only router in the network (working in router mode, not AP). Sometimes affected devices keep appearing and disappearing from the clients list randomly. Pinging the router from these devices really worked (they were immediately displayed in the clients list), but after disconnection the issue starts happening again.

Is a fix for this issue planned for the next firmware upgrade?

Best regards,

Rodrigo Faustini

Options
2019-11-22 19:31:11

@Carl While I appreciate the follow up, I do hope that there is a patch planned to fix this. 

If I am managing a wireless network, I can't ask people to ping my AP so I can see who's using the wireless network. This should happen on it's own.  

And while the AP uses ARP to speak to router, it also has to have the MAC addresses of the wireless clients. It should be able to easily MAP the IP address to MACs. 

Have you heard of any fix yet?

Options
2019-12-01 04:19:24

@Carl - I can +1 this as well.  I am experiencing the same issue.  I would expect it to recognize the devices connected wirelessly so that I can know who is connected to my network.

Options
2019-12-02 19:14:26

Hi Everyone,

We have asked for an update but have not heard back from the development team, which is not uncommon.  Likely if an update is issued we will not be made aware until the new frimware with its release note are made available.  I would recommend checking our Website on Friday afternoons (Monday if the friday is a holiday) that is when new content is added.  

Options
2019-12-29 03:56:55

@Carl Hi Carl,

Thanks so much for your prompt response on all this (I obviously have the same problem).

My issue is a bit more complicated because I have a very high security need; as such I'm white listing MAC addresses. I didn't quite understand what you meant by PINGing... can you please tell me how I can get the list of connected wifi devices so I can get their MACs and white list? Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 37807

Replies: 134

Related Articles