WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

131 Reply
Re:WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients
2020-03-24 12:12:12

@mocelet 

same issue with my TL-WR941Hp

(UN) V2, please let me know if there is any update regarding this bug. I am using last updated firmware 2.0.2 build 20191125 ref 54756.

Options
2020-03-24 12:13:29

@Carl 

same issue with my TL-WR941Hp

(UN) V2, please let me know if there is any update regarding this bug. I am using last updated firmware 2.0.2 build 20191125 ref 54756.

Options
2020-03-24 16:03:19

@SaqibSaleem 

The TL-WR941HP is not a US product.  We would not have any information for bugs or potential bugs or their resolution here in the US.  We would suggest starting a similar thread on the global community "community.tp-link.com/en". The team that operates that community would be in the best position to assist you with your router.  

Options
2020-03-27 09:15:18 - last edited 2020-03-27 09:16:13

@Carl Not to be picky, but it looks like it's indeed a bug (or a feature bad implemented) in several Archer products, both in US and EU. Clearly a firmware issue and you've even pointed out the problem, it doesn't make the list with the info the AP has, but by analyzing network packets.

As soon as a wireless client authenticates against the AP, the AP knows there's a client connected, and yet it displays 0 clients (or needs pinging the device, but that doesn't work for me anymore). Moreover, even if it didn't have allocated IP address yet because DHCP server was down or whatever, it is authenticated and hence known, no need for analyzing or waiting for ARP packets of any kind.

I don't have more access points to compare, but it feels quite weird that an access point is not able to make an accurate list of the number of wireless devices that are authenticated in the AP. I could understand wired devices don't appear, after all it's just like an unmanaged switch. But wireless ones... it just has to know because the AP authenticates them.

Options
2020-03-27 16:37:11

@mocelet 

Our testing team did get back to me.  Basically its not a bug but a fact of how some client devices/client NIC adapters are desgined.  The client will only show up in the AP's client list if there is an Arp instance. If the Client does not send an Arp request it will not show up.  Arp request can be forced by actions such as pinging to the router's default gateway.  

Options
2020-03-29 20:39:30 - last edited 2020-03-31 12:08:37

@Carl Thanks for your reply, but that doesn't explain the times the list is completely empty, that's indeed a bug. I opened this thread trying to summarize the problems, common responses and why there is still a bug not related to the reply from your testing team.

TL;DR:

Right now my C6 doesn't show any client connected, it always did, until a power outage. There's a bug not related to ARPs because nothing helps (not even pinging to the device).

In fact, the router knows perfectly how many wireless clients are because (in router mode), under wireless stations, the list of wireless clients is perfect and even tracks the traffic for each of them, yet they do not appear in the list of clients of the front page or Tether App.

In access point mode there's no wireless station section, there is no way to know how many wireless devices are being served by the access point. Again, it's not about the device or lack of ARPs, the access point has to know exactly how many wireless connections is managing because, well, it authenticates them.

Edit: Update, there is indeed a bug in Archer routers when DHCP Server is set to Off, which is an usual setting when using it as second router or access point. I've updated my thread.

Options
2020-04-03 11:05:55

@alien-link 

This is a major security issue.  A wireless AP absolutely MUST display it's list of connected clients that it is allowing to connect -- it is a high risk to have an AP that is broken in this fashion.  I can't have an AP in my network that has missing information on the connected clients as this could lead to fraudulent or hidden connections by unallowed guests that have hacked my WiFI AP.  I also need to verify proper load balancing of resources on the tri-band of my AX11000 as I am trying to verify if the Smart Connect feature is working and have ZERO information due to this severe flaw in build 5553.  FIX????????  Or should I return this device and get something that is safe to use from another vendor?

Options
2020-04-03 11:46:41

@CraigSchafer It is a security issue indeed, the only way to actually know the authenticated clients is in Wireless Stations Online section. But that's only available in router mode, not in AP mode. And it's only displayed in the web UI, not in Tether App.

Plus, the bug when DHCP Server is set to Off that will result in an empty client list in web UI and Tether App (the list that generates by inspecting ARPs)

Options
2020-05-08 12:13:46

@Carl 

I have the same problem and would like a solution

Archer C60 Ver 3.0

Firmware 1.0.2 Build 20190821 Rel 72820 (4555)

Options
2020-05-13 22:51:18

@Carl I am having the same issue, but with a P9 Home network.  My network and wifi seems to be functioning but my Deco app does not show any devices connected.  I have tried rebooting, removing, reinstalling, deleting/reinstalling iphone app.  I even deleted and recreated my network.  I am thinking this is a firmware issue or an Deco app version issue.  Tech support (in broken written English) only suggested to 'live with it' or repeat my above already attempted steps.  Keep me updated

Options