WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

134 Reply
Re:WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients
2022-11-20 09:18:48

@Demopan I've found a solution, got a Ruckus R300 off eBay for next to nothing (they're EOL'd so lots of places are replacing them), tossed the TP-Link, and dropped in the Ruckus in its place.  All the clients that the TP-Link is unaware of/unable to display showed up immediately.  The good news is that the power plug and ethernet cable from the TP-Link are compatible with the Ruckus, so it's just a case of unplugging one and plugging in the other to upgrade to an AP that works properly.

Options
2022-11-30 04:40:49

Wish I knew this before I bought this very very ordinary gear, my old WiFi gear that was 5 years old was better.

Thanks TP Junk.

Options
2022-12-01 04:08:38

@Carl Look how long ago this thread was started. How has this not been fixed yet? This is the most basic network requirement of Wi-Fi AP. 

What has been going on in the dev side? Has everyone quit? 

Options
2022-12-01 04:12:33

@alien-link 3 years?  What's your rush??

Options
2022-12-13 19:48:37

@alien-link 

I understand that the users on this thread are insistent that a router in AP mode not showing clients in its client's list is a bug.  As I have explained in my responses back in 2020 per engineering it is not a bug but a factor on how the Client's NIC is communicating with the AP.  If the client does not send an Arp request there will not be any entry in the APs client list.  You can of course force the arp but that does not really address the concerns being brought up here.  The only thing is that because its not actually a bug I can't say if there is anything we can actually do.  

What we can try is collect user data and send it back to the engineering team to get their insight and response.  What i will need is:

Router:

Hardware Version

Firmware Version

Mode you are using the rotuer in. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2022-12-13 20:28:39

@Carl Your response is stunning.  Users for years complain that the product doesn't provide a feature that is basic, essential and found in any comparable product.  Users post that the product is junk and they're returning it, or wish they had.  I returned multiple TP-Link APs for this reason. So, to chime in that after 3 years, "it's not a bug. . . " is laughable.  Oh, the engineering department said it's not a bug? Case closed.  Isn't the company in the business of satisfying customers' expectations rather than coming back with some mumbo jumbo about "the Client's NIC is comunicating with the AP"?  You don't need the hardware & software info.  What's that going to do?  There's no debate that the TP-Link routers don't provide this function.  Period.  Nobody cares to get into a debate with your engineering team over the definition of a bug.  The products do not provide the basic functionality that one would expect from an AP.  Don't buy them.  Period.  I look forward to your reply in late 2026.

Options
2022-12-14 07:17:41

@Carl Stop being defensive!  You keep trying to explain that your software doesn't have a "Bug" when it is clear that it has a deficiency that this community has called out for years. You are simply arguing a matter of semantics rather than providing an actual solution.  You blame hardware and their deficiencies rather than TP-Link's own ability to solve this issue. There are a number of third party apps that can survey a network and deliver the IP, MAC address, Host Name et at yet as the "middle man", as you describe it, you are unable to capture a simple Client IP Table. I say BS.  This is why I buy things like this at Costco - $400 return it will be. 

Options
2022-12-14 08:35:12

@PHGNYC: Yup.  And I'd pointed out the most likely cause for the problem in this post, if it's that then it's not like there's a lot of debugging required to figure out what the issue is.

I've never before encountered an AP that can't even tell you what's connected to it, and nor have I run into an organisation that denies that this significant bug in their devices isn't actually a bug, it's really a small arthropod animal that has six legs and generally one or two pairs of wings and therefore doesn't need to be fixed.

Options
2022-12-14 17:14:52

@TheDudendaBoo  @DroppedPacket  @PHGNYC 

I figured I would do a single response to you rather than individual responses.   1st to address the absence.  The local US team that manages this community isn't very large so we don't actively monitor every thread.  Generally speaking, we only jump into threads that are brand new and where an answer from TP-Link is required or if we are tagged.  On an aged post like this, especially one where we have provided a factual answer we will tend to leave alone unless we are tagged.  That is what happened here I wasn't tagged for some time so that is why it appears your concerns were being ghosted. Additionally, my last post was not defensive.  I was acknowledging your concerns but reiterated the facts we provided in 2020.  As I am sure you all understand any reports related to bugs or suspected bugs are sent to our software development teams, i.e. the Engineering Team.  In 2020 they provided reasoning as to why the concerns were not considered a bug.  Now that said I also mention in my previous post a willingness to readdress with engineering.  To do that we need more information.  If you want this addressed we need data points that can be specifically tested in our labs.  That is why we need:

Router:

Hardware Version

Firmware Version

The mode you are using the router in. 

If you are willing to provide this data then I can send that off and possibly provide you with a better answer.  I can't guarantee it but I would be happy to try. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2022-12-14 17:54:29

@Carl  Thanks, Carl. Clearly neither you nor your company get it.  The product doesn't do what customers expect.  There are competitors that do fulfill our needs.  We won't use Tp-Link products going forward. And at least I won't waste time providing needless information to a well identified problem ("no, it's not a bug)!

Would you confirm that TP-Link products are not installed in any automobiles or aircraft.  I wouldn't want any "non-bug" issue to kill me while we contact engineering with our firmware details. "But it's not supposed to keep the plane in the air.  See my post from 12 years ago about the NIC..."

Take a step back, put yourself in the consumer's shoes and think about how much antipathy your statements have created. I'm out.  You guys don't have a monopoly, despite your behavior.

Options