Slow/buffering streaming of MOV files

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-19 11:34:17
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.4

I have a Seagate SSD connected to my TP-Link router (Archer C1200) via USB. I can access the SSD via WIFI as a network drive and access all files with no problem.

I am wanting to stream videos to various Mac and iOS devices (MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV). Streaming MP4 videos is nearly flawless, but MOV files will not stream without excessive buffering and stalling. Performance is the same on any device, even when sitting within a few feet of the router (line of sight, 4-5 feet away). I have a strong WIFI signal and good speeds as far as I can tell.

I have used multiple media players and interfaces, and the result is the same. I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow/buffering streaming of MOV files
2019-09-19 17:12:48

@DavidSh 

It might be that the data being pushed is greater compared to the mp4 video.

Convert one of the .mov vides to mp4 and stream that to see if the video is smooth.

Options
2019-09-19 18:14:26

@Tony 

Thanks. I have tried that, and even though some of the MOV files are smaller, the MP4 videos still stream better, and none of the MOV files stream without stuttering and excessive buffering. In this case, more data doesn't necessarily lead to lower performance, as larger MP4's stream fine, small MOV files stream poorly. Perhaps there is something inherent in the MOV file type that causes problems?

I have hundreds of MOV videos (and more being made all the time on iPhone), so converting them all needs to be avoided if possible. I want to figure out why that specific format won't stream, even with VLC or other "universal" media players. I'm willing to make additional hardware or software investments if I can find a solution.

I suspect something in the router configuration or router hardware deficiency. I should add that I have tried both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands on multiple router channels, and performance is equally poor with MOV vido files.

Options
2020-03-10 21:56:41

Why is so much online file converter but they are too slow? what other services can you offer on an example like this here

Options
2020-03-11 12:07:35
Run some speed tests to see what your real WIFI speed is. Use the 5ghz channels as that is faster. Change to use a specific WIFI channel and also try different WIFI bandwidths. Are you using Apple's QuickTime or some other product? And does stream okay to a wired device?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1337

Replies: 4