Parental Control not working on Archer C5400

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-19 20:51:04
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20170731 Rel 74060

Hi all.

So after 3 tech calls and an earlier post on this forum, I have vetted the following: up-to-date firmware, time on router and devices are synced, children not using another router, no boosters or extenders that create a by-pass, I have rebooted the child's device after updating the settings under Parental Control as well as mine, the host device (outa pure paranoia at this point)-- and the time settings under Parental Controls do not block wifi access in the unchosen time blocks, the status column needs to be marked (I am guessing) to show you wish to actively apply those time settings to that device, and lastly, be careful to hit all OK buttons and hit Save which may require searching for as it may not be visible without scrolling.

Still Parental Controls do not seem to function, meaning to block time frames per pre-chosen allowed times and does not block words restricted.

What I have learned that may help others: the MAC address is on a PC the physical address which you want to know to confirm that you in fact have identified the correct device to manage-- this is found the following way on the target device: Right click the wifi symbol in the bottom right tray and go to "Open network and Sharing Center" then on the right in the window, go to "Change Adapter Settings" then right click on your network which you should see in the main box, and go to "Status" then click on "Details" and the Physical Address listed near the top is what will serve as the "MAC Address" in the TP Link site for Parental controls and another important but unmentioned section by 3/4 technicians I have conversed with-- the "Access Control" section that can only be found the following way.... From the home page of the TP Link site for managing your router, go to Advanced then on the left, Security, then to Access Control and from there you will see a list of devices connected to your router. Select one and block it to deny the device wifi access. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I COULD BLOCK WIFI. Trouble is I have to manually turn it on and off. No presets here folks. :\

Now friends, if any of you know how to make the time settings block wifi in the "unselected" times that is under Parental Controls so that I do not have to helicopter parent my kids to mind that they are not lost down the wifi rabit hole, I would be forever endebted to you!! :) Or for that matter, make the content restriction thing work too. That would be such a bonus!!! Help please! Anyone .... :)

PS Tech-- I could not post this without selecting from the dropdown list a model and mine was not included so I added my model to the title. :)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Parental Control not working on Archer C5400
2019-09-19 21:36:58

@Shannon 

Shannon,

It sound like you have a V1 of the C5400.  There are a few things that could possibly be affecting the parental controls from working.  

1.  Use the correct list:  A black list is is devices that will be blocked and a white list is devices that will be allowed.  Make sure you have the correct one selected. also its worth noting that a blank whitelist will block all devices during the specified times.  

2.  The router's time itself.  Go to advanced - System Tools - Time Settings and make sure the routers current time is correct.  Also enable DST start and stop days if you live in a state that does DST.  If the router's time is off in any way your parental controls will be off.  

Lastly if that all checks out you can create a back up of your config file and send it to ussupportteam@tp-link.com along with a link to this thread and we would be happy to load a test router and confrim the settings and see if we can figure out a cause and solution.  Keep in mind if you do this we will need the admin name and password to access the router and the current firmware build number you are running. 

Options
2019-09-22 18:00:45

@Shannon 

Hi Carl.

First Carl, thank you for your informed response and offer to take this up for testing. Testing what's going on is how we'll solve this, so I rather appreciate the offer.

Now to answer your questions: Yes, it is version 1, and your points were all known and verified, meaning I had successfully managed to black list certain devices, effectively blocking wifi, and I had located the router's time settings under Advanced and confirmed they were set correctly-- that and checked that the devices in question, their time settings were/are accurate as well.

It's both the content restriction and the time schedule that are ineffective.

I'd be happy to provide what you ask but would like to make sure that I am not providing direct access to my router on a public forum where ill-meaning folk may be trolling for such nutguts of digital gold to gain access to home networks. Also, how may I confirm that you are a technician with TP-Link? I saw something of a tp-link logo near your name which helps but honestly, could easily be replicated. I would like a little more information showing you are in fact a technician with TP-Link to make sure I am not, so-to-speak, handing over the keys to our castle to a stranger with alterior motives. ;)

Thanks again!!

Shannon

Options
2019-09-25 23:02:26

@Shannon 

I understand the concerns.  Our bading (tplink) next to my name can only be assinged to official TP-Link empolyees however you can send an email to ussupportteam@tp-link.com and I would be happy to assist you outside of our community forum.

Options
2019-09-25 23:07:56

Hi Carl.

Yes, I do prefer to continue with you through the support email you listed instead if you do not mind. Could you send me again what exactly you need in that email and I will provide it for you. Thanks!

@Carl 

Options
2019-09-26 00:24:57

@Shannon 

Hi Shannon,  you should now have an email from me.  I gave instructions on what we need and how to get it.  We will continue through email i just wanted to let you know to look for it.

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2669

Replies: 5

Related Articles