Does MAC filtering apply to guest network too?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-22 20:56:57
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181122 rel 29339

I'm worried the answer is yes, but this seems to make the whole guest network idea pointless.  I want to be able to turn my guest network on and off, change the password regularly and I want to MAC filter my home network.  If I have to add the MAC for every guest, I might as well not bother.

Thanks.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Does MAC filtering apply to guest network too?
2019-09-25 17:00:03

@Sneeje 

You are correct in that if a device connects to the guest network and is not on the white list, will not have access to the internet.

There are plans to rework the ACL function.

Options
2020-03-15 13:57:03 - last edited 2020-03-15 13:58:27

@Tony I dont believe the ACL was very well thought through. 

With mac filtering you know each and every device... with guest login you dont... So to have mac filtering enabled on the guest network is a bit silly. In my opinion as a customer this is a broken feature. 

Will this only be fixed on newer devices? or on older devices aswell? I have TP-Link TD-W8970.

Tony wrote

@Sneeje 

You are correct in that if a device connects to the guest network and is not on the white list, will not have access to the internet.

Options
2020-03-15 15:05:58
And I am in the other school, where I do not want any device signed on to the router unless it was in the white list when using MAC filtering guest or not. Maybe an option needs to be added or some type of WPS function to add devices to the whitelist.
Options
2020-03-16 22:25:32

@Barker 

Barker wrote

@Tony I dont believe the ACL was very well thought through. 

With mac filtering you know each and every device... with guest login you dont... So to have mac filtering enabled on the guest network is a bit silly. In my opinion as a customer this is a broken feature. 

Will this only be fixed on newer devices? or on older devices aswell? I have TP-Link TD-W8970.

Tony wrote

@Sneeje 

From what I have seen, usually current devices, older devices tend to be updated should security risks arise not added features. 

Options
2020-07-17 06:36:51

@Tony Has this been addressed yet?  I've just upgraded from an Archer D9 where MAC filtering didn't impact guest and now have an AX1800 and it does.

Options
2020-07-22 20:51:21 - last edited 2020-07-22 20:51:39

@choyda 

From the information I just got, MAC filtering should not affect guest devices for the AX1800, but if you are seeing otherwise, I would reach out to your local support.

Options
2021-01-08 03:54:09

@Tony 

my previous router was an arris and seemed way more sophisticated than the TP-Link I just bought. I have a brand new Canon printer that simply would not work on my regular network sign ends as it would go to sleep and you couldn't make it up until you powered it down and back on. It was an air printer but that feature didn't seem to work with my Apple devices at all. What saved me was being able to create a guest network, with no password, but I added the printers Mac address so that it was the only device that could connect to that network and void that work beautiful. So far the Same printer has been working rather well on the same 2G network I created on the TP link router and I'm am

Options
2021-06-08 23:08:05

@Tony Almost two years later and they still haven't reworked the ACL function.  What a waste of guest network functionality.

Options
2021-10-13 15:35:56

@MrKirky 

That is the dumbest thing as a router feature. I cannot ask everyone of my guests to poke around their devices to give me their MAC address.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4160

Replies: 9