Maximium number of Deco M5 Units (and ? decreased speed)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-01 16:40:02 - last edited 2019-10-01 16:42:35
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

I have the Decom M5 3 Pack purchased and installed in August. 

I have a 4500 sq ft. space - 3 three levels. Currently I have the Deco M5 3 pack, with one in the mid-ground basement ("central placement"), one main M5 unit (connected to modem) on the main floor (which is off to side of house), and the third M5 unit also on the main floor across the house in an empty room also on the main floor. 

The main unit on the main floor is connected to modem via ethernet, and the other two units (basement and in empty room on main floor) are wireless. 

In terms of workload, I have two laptops (only 1 used at a time- not always on), two smart TVs (one used at a time), 3 cellphones (always on) and a WIFI security camera (local SD card record, always on, but not always viewing feed over network).  

The best I am getting for connection strength is 2/3 bars on the non-ethernet units. I've tried to place the units closer and more centrally, but there are limitations, obviously. 

My questions:

1. If I add a fourth M5 Unit, will it potentially clutter up or result in decreased network speeds (rather than improve)?

2. On my current set-up (3 units), will connecting the other two M5 units to eachther via ethernet improve network speeds and strenght? Or will it only improve strength and speed if the other units are connected to the main (+modem) via ethernet?

Thanks in advance, 

SK

Options
2 Reply
Re:Maximium number of Deco M5 Units (and ? decreased speed)
2019-10-02 18:11:55

@westcoast 

Hi,

At this time you can add up to 10 Deco units to a single network.  Also its worth pointing out that those Deco units can be different models as well.  If you do do add other models of the Deco we recommend the Base unit being the fastest or most feature based unit.  

To answer your questions

1.  No it won't clutter up your network or decrease speeds.  What will happen is the unit will build a path to each other Deco unit and traffic from that unit will follow the best path to the base unit and out to the internet.  If one path has network issues "network Healing" will redirrect the traffic to a good path. The main factors of reduced speed are distance and obsticles.  

2. Ethernet backhaul would always be the fastest connection so you could see improvement, but if they are not phyiscally connected to the Base unit with ethernet you would still be using wireless to commuincate from the remote uints to the base.  That communication would still be dependent on the distance of the closest node and any obsitcle between it and the base unit.  

I hope that helps but if you need anything else let us know.

Options
Re:Maximium number of Deco M5 Units (and ? decreased speed)
2019-10-02 18:30:00

@westcoast 

Thanks! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1441

Replies: 2