TL-WN881ND adapter will not install

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-19 01:34:59
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.8

I wanting to install this in a WIN 7 Dell desktop computer. When running the install CD it does not find the adapter. I went on-line chat with TP-Link and it was suggested that I install in on my WIN 10 desktop. It installed like it was suppose to. It seems to be the PCI ports (2), plus have a larger port that I have tried in as well. The green light doesn't even light up when in the Win 7 machine.

Any suggestions as to a fix. I believe it is the port(s). This is above my knowledge level.

Thank you,

ChrisPC

Options
8 Reply
Re:TL-WN881ND adapter will not install
2019-10-21 16:32:06

@ChrisPC 

The PCI slots needs to be a PCI Express slot, if the slot is a x1 or x16, it will still work. You might be installing the network card in a non PCIe slot.

If the driver is not installed the LED would be off which is likey what is happening.

So first make sure the card is installed in a PCI Express slot, and then download the latest drivers from our website. We do have Windows 7 drivers so the operating system is fine.

The available drivers are dependent on which hardware version you have of the TL-WN881ND card. You can find out which version you have by looking at the sticker label either on the board or on the box the card came in. It will say either version 1.0 or version 2.0.

Once you know that you can grab the driver here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wn881nd/

Options
2019-10-22 03:46:16

@ChrisPC 

Tony,

Thank you for responding. I don't know that any of them are a PCI Express slot. There are three slots available and I have tried all three with no sucess at installing the driver for the board.

Chris

File:
PC Slot Photo.jpgDownload
Options
2019-10-22 17:16:51 - last edited 2019-10-22 17:48:42

@ChrisPC 

So you are definitely installing the card in the right slot. The beige slot is what will not work.

Seeing how the card is version 2.0, try to install this driver from our website: https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201802/20180207/TL-WN881ND_V2_180118_Win.zip

Download the zip file and then extract it, the resulting folder will have a setup.exe you would run. Once that setup is complete look at the LED light to see if it then turns on.

If that does not work, try the manufacturer chipset driver: https://www.realtek.com/en/agree-to-download?downloadid=4af6c78d0912f44210d3991b13e9d5d9

You will need to check the box to agree, and can put a made up email, enter the caption then you will be able to download the file.

Options
2019-10-22 17:25:41

@Tony 

Thank you Tony. I will give your recommendations a try later on today.

Chris

Options
2019-10-23 03:32:18

@Tony 

Tony,

I tried both of the instructions you gave me. I was NOT successful with the Setup.exe procedure. I tried the second one and did not get the download from the link you gave me.

I also have a WIFI extender with at ethernet port and have tried that and have NOT been successfull with getting it connected. I know the extender is working since my cell phone is picking it up as a optional connection. I have a ethernet chord ordered that will allow me to connect my WIN 7 comptuer with my WIN 10 computer.

Let me start at the beginning. I have a HP Laserjet 5 printer. I cannot find a driver for it, for the the WIN 10 computer. So, I am using the WIN 7 computer as a "server" to connect to the WIN 10 computer to the printer. So I don't know if connecting the two computers via a ethernet will solve the problem. They are about 6-8 feet apart.

Ideally I'd like to have the WIN 7 computer connected via wireless,but will take Ethernet if it will work. Again, any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Options
2019-10-23 19:15:37

@ChrisPC 

Is the extender you have a TP-Link model? If so, what is it?

In regards to the TL-WN881ND, if you go into the computers control panel. Is there a entry for a unknown device or a device with a yellow caution icon over?

Options
2019-10-23 20:54:43

@Tony 

Tony,

The Extender is a Netgear WN3000RPv3.

I took pictures of the screens (3) to show you what I am seeing. Only yellow caution I am seeing is over the internet connection (bottom right corner of the desktop) saying addional sign in information is needed.

Chris

Options
2019-10-23 22:07:55

@ChrisPC 

In the first screenshot click on "Device Manager". Mainly what you are looking for is if the computer can even see anything that was inserted. 

As far as the extender configuration would need to be taken up by the manufacturer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3999

Replies: 8