Accessing the WAN IP fails to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-26 18:40:23
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2

I cannot access my router's public IP. I just can't!

I go to Advanced->Network and it shows me an IP address. I cannot reach that IP address globally. If I try reaching it locally, it gives me a `Rejected request from RFC1918 IP to public server address` error.

I can port forward, and then going to that IP address at that port works... locally. It does not work globally.

My ISP does not install a modem. The IP address starts with 100, so I'm quite sure it's a public one, yet it cannot be accessed publicly. It doesn't work and I'm almost done with trying. I just don't know...

Options
7 Reply
Re:Accessing the WAN IP fails to work
2019-10-28 18:54:51

@Connor77 

When you enable remote management you must take note of the port that is shown.

Take this for example:

My web management port is 90. So say my public IP is 1.1.1.1 then when I open my web browser. I will put:

1.1.1.1:90

The end part (bolded) is what is important. If you just put 1.1.1.1 then the browser will try to access the IP on port 80 which is incorrect.

One other important note is that if you want to access the router via the public IP you can not be on the same local network of the Archer C1200. If you already are on the C1200 Wi-Fi, then use the internal IP address (192.168.x.x).

Options
2019-10-29 16:28:40 - last edited 2019-10-29 16:30:00

@Tony Hey, thanks for the answer! I did what you said, but unfortunately, even that does not fix the problem.

Right now, I think the problem is that router's IP is just not externally visible. As I said, port forwarding works but is not reachable outside of my LAN.

And that's what's got me so confused! I know as a fact that my ISP does not install a modem, and I set the network mode to work accordingly, but the router is just not publicly accessible!

Options
2019-10-29 21:28:08

@Connor77 

Change the web management port to a different value, I would try 9000.

Maybe the ISP doesn't like ports less then 1024.

If your WAN IP is not something like 192.168.x.x then like you mentioned that is your public IP. Might be worth contacting them to see if any filtering is done to the IP given.

Options
2019-10-30 13:31:46

@Tony No dice. Connection times out.

Options
2019-11-04 22:58:20

@Connor77 

Please get in touch with one of our techs: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

In the mean time there are public port scanners you can use to try different port numbers to see if any show up as open once the port is saved in the router.

Options
2020-04-05 19:14:24

@Connor77 Did you ever figure this one out?? I'm having the same issue.

Options
2020-04-06 18:33:29

@Connor77 

Yes. An IP address starting with 100 is considered a "private" IP address by a certain namespace. I'm not sure of all the standards for IP meanings, but I know 100 is a virtual address. For me, it was my ISP. If your public ip address on your router starts with 100, that's actually a virtual IP address assigned by your ISP to limit the number of public IP addresses out there. I called them and they gave me a public IP address before the call ended.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8504

Replies: 7

Related Articles