How to block a VPN app ex. x-vpn from accessing my Archer A7 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-30 22:43:41 - last edited 2019-10-30 22:45:35
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

My kid is going around the parental controls time block at night to surf the internet utilizing a x-vpn app on his mobile device. How do I block the VPN app from accessing the internet on my Archer AC1750 A7 router?

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to block a VPN app ex. x-vpn from accessing my Archer A7 router?
2019-10-31 00:23:51

@Crypto 

There are a few approaches.  

1.  You can disable the wireless for all devices during specific time settings, so that no device regardless of work around will get wifi Access during said time frame.

2.  You can add the VPN to the parental controls filters by adding it as a keyword, if you know the VPN name.

3.  Use a lockdown app like Qustodio.  These apps can lock down specific apps or the entire phone for a specfic ammount of time.  They are only allowed to make emergancy calls during the lock down time.  These Apps usually have a cost involved though.  

I hope this helps 

Options
2019-10-31 01:40:51

@Carl. Thanks for the reply and appreciate the recommendations

1.  You can disable the wireless for all devices during specific time settings, so that no device regardless of work around will get wifi Access during said time frame.

Answer: Parental Control which has time frame that I have it set but with a VPN application such as x-vpn you can get around the time limits because it doesnt lock it down completely since my kid had the VPN app on his devices and surfing internet during blocked timeslots. Their is a feature called access control that completely locks out wireless but their is only a blacklist/whitelist by mac address and no time frame so I would have to manually go in each time to disable access control. I have notified TPLink support to add access control with a time feature as a parental control option.

2.  You can add the VPN to the parental controls filters by adding it as a keyword, if you know the VPN name.

Answer: These TPLink routers only do parental control filters by website and not by locking down applications or protocols. 

3.  Use a lockdown app like Qustodio.  These apps can lock down specific apps or the entire phone for a specfic ammount of time.  They are only allowed to make emergancy calls during the lock down time.  These Apps usually have a cost involved though.  

Answer: Looked in to this option which I prefer to do it from the actual source of wireless than a single device cause now I would have to purchase for 3-4 devices versus just 1 device= router. 

Carl wrote

@Crypto 

I hope this helps 

Carl wrote

@Crypto 

I hope this helps 

Carl wrote

@Crypto 

I hope this helps 

Carl wrote

@Crypto 

I hope this helps 

Options
2019-10-31 15:56:50

@Crypto 

A little feedback.

On question 1.  I was actually referring to shutting down the wireless all together.  regardless of his VPN service if the wireless is disabled for all devices he won't have access.  This can be achieved by the following menus.  For your comment on Access Control with time limits, i am not sure if that is possible but i will make sure R and D is contacted to check.

On question 2:  Your correct. I was thinking the Archer A7 was part of HomeCare which does block by application as well.  The Keyword block on this one is blocking of websites with that keyword so that is incorrect. 

For question 3:  I can understand that.  What i was suggesting though is software based not hardware.  It would be an app you load on to your child's phone no new hardward only a license key.  

Options
2019-10-31 16:09:00 - last edited 2019-10-31 16:14:03

Carl wrote

@Crypto 

A little feedback.

On question 1.  I was actually referring to shutting down the wireless all together.  regardless of his VPN service if the wireless is disabled for all devices he won't have access.  This can be achieved by the following menus.  For your comment on Access Control with time limits, i am not sure if that is possible but i will make sure R and D is contacted to check.

Answer: The wireless schedule option I totally missed on my part. Unfortunately this is to disable all wireless and not specific devices for the wireless schedule. The Access Control option lets me pick the devices but it doesnt have a schedule which is really needed. I still need to have the rest of my devices in my network to connect to the internet so the wireless schedule doesnt work which I just need to pin point 3 devices to disable during the evening hours that is set on the parental control schedule.  

On question 2:  Your correct. I was thinking the Archer A7 was part of HomeCare which does block by application as well.  The Keyword block on this one is blocking of websites with that keyword so that is incorrect. 

For question 3:  I can understand that.  What i was suggesting though is software based not hardware.  It would be an app you load on to your child's phone no new hardward only a license key.  

Answer: Sorry and I was refering to software app and not additional hardware. 

@Carl 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1907

Replies: 4

Related Articles