Deco M9 Plus - Can't rename connected devices in app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-31 22:18:19 - last edited 2019-11-15 20:15:36
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023

I have two Deco M9 Plus units.  When I am using the Deco app to edit the name of a connected device, the name change doesn't get saved.  This also occurs when I try to update other attributes of the connected device (e.g. Location).  In the app, it shows the new name for a second or two, but then changes back to the prior name.  There is no error message given either.  Very occassionally will the name change actually save, so it's not failing 100% of the time (just most of the time).  

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any specific pattern to it.  Some of the troubleshoting I've tried (all to no avail):

• Isolate the issue to a specific Deco unit - they both seem to have the same issue
  • Reboot & unplug each unit
  • Tried to rename various devices of different types (smart switches, laptops, phones, etc)
  • Existing decive name length doesn't seem to matter
  • Tried using the Deco app on multiple different devices

My only guess is that this could be related to the recent firmware update.  I just updated the firmware on 10/25, and I can't recall ever having this issue before.

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue or knows how to fix it.  My only other idea for a work around is to delete and add each device back individually.  But with over 70 devices, that's just going to be a pain.  

Thanks in advance,

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Can't rename connected devices in app-Solution
2019-11-15 20:15:21 - last edited 2019-11-15 20:15:36

@Tony 

I seem to have resolved this issue. 

As it turns out, the devices I could not rename were all TP-Link Kasa smart devices (for example, a HS200 Smart Switch).  Apparently the latest version of the Deco app now has a separate category called "Switches/Plugs/Outlets" for separating these sorts of devices from other wifi connected devices which fall into the category called "Network Devices".  Previously, all of my connected smart devices were just showing up under the general "Network Devices" category, and I couldn't rename the Kasa smart devices like I had done in the past.  However, once I hit the "+" symbol and selected "Smart Devices" in the top right corner of the app and followed the prompts, all of my smart devices now show up in the "Switches/Plugs/Outlets" category.  I can't rename these devices in the Deco app, but they have the exact names I gave them in the Kasa app.  This solves my problem because before they were just showing up with names equal to the model numbers (that was the reason I was trying to rename them in the first place).  

So, the moral of the story is that I no longer have the issue I first reported with renaming connected devices.  The new version of the Deco app seems to have improved functionality to separately identify (and control on/off) for these smart devices.  It's a nice upgrade, but the transition from the older version of the Deco app that already had these devices was not as smooth as it could have been. 

Hopefully this helps if anyone else out there encounters similar issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Can't rename connected devices in app
2019-11-05 17:24:30

@JimGT 

Do you happen to have over 16 devices desiganted as high priority?

If so, please disable that, and then test to see if you can still rename.

Options
2019-11-06 19:41:54

@Tony 

No, I only have 3-4 devices labelled as high priority.  I tried turning high priority off for all of them and still encounter the same issue.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks,

Options
2019-11-07 17:58:07

@JimGT 

I wanted to gather the following info:

1. Is the email regsitered on this forum the same you used to set up the Decp app?

2. What is the current Deco app version you are running?

3. Model of the phone, and the OS version.

Options
2019-11-07 19:40:01

@Tony 

1. Yes, same email address

2. Deco app version 1.9.8 (this is latest version I can find in the Google Play Store)

3. Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Android version 9

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus - Can't rename connected devices in app-Solution
2019-11-15 20:15:21 - last edited 2019-11-15 20:15:36

@Tony 

I seem to have resolved this issue. 

As it turns out, the devices I could not rename were all TP-Link Kasa smart devices (for example, a HS200 Smart Switch).  Apparently the latest version of the Deco app now has a separate category called "Switches/Plugs/Outlets" for separating these sorts of devices from other wifi connected devices which fall into the category called "Network Devices".  Previously, all of my connected smart devices were just showing up under the general "Network Devices" category, and I couldn't rename the Kasa smart devices like I had done in the past.  However, once I hit the "+" symbol and selected "Smart Devices" in the top right corner of the app and followed the prompts, all of my smart devices now show up in the "Switches/Plugs/Outlets" category.  I can't rename these devices in the Deco app, but they have the exact names I gave them in the Kasa app.  This solves my problem because before they were just showing up with names equal to the model numbers (that was the reason I was trying to rename them in the first place).  

So, the moral of the story is that I no longer have the issue I first reported with renaming connected devices.  The new version of the Deco app seems to have improved functionality to separately identify (and control on/off) for these smart devices.  It's a nice upgrade, but the transition from the older version of the Deco app that already had these devices was not as smooth as it could have been. 

Hopefully this helps if anyone else out there encounters similar issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-24 01:33:54 - last edited 2020-07-24 01:36:44

@JimGT Some bulbs and switches, Eufy for example, are partially recognized as such, preventing editing of the device name in the app, but are not pulled into the separate "Switches/Plugs/Outlets" heading.  I just discovered a work-around, posted here in hopes it helps the next person.

1. Disconnect power from the device (in my case I unscrewed wifi lights from the socket)
  2. Wait for the device to move to "Offline Devices"
  3. Select the device from "Offline Devices" and edit the device name 
  4. Reconnect the device to power.  The edited name will remain!
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3323

Replies: 6