Setting up new router as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-01 21:26:13
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I plan to use my C4000 in access point mode, with my FIOS Quantum Gateway Router as the primary router. Should I change the ssid's and passwords on the C4000 to match the primary router?

I currently have different ssid names for the 2.4g and 5g bands. Should I keep different names or is it better to have one ssid for both bands?

Anything else I should know?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Setting up new router as access point
2019-11-04 18:18:25

@Andreww 

While you can set the C4000 as an AP and set the wireless to match what your Gateway transmits its not recommended.   Because APs need to be connected dirrectly to the Router via Ethernet you may inadvertently create wireless interference by making the WiFi name the same  Also devices would be confused to which AP to connect to, the C4000 or the Gateway, causing device to radomly drop as they switch between AP.  Even if they are different because wireless operates on the same band there still might be interference  Think how apartment complexes have bad WiFi service becasue of Congestion in the immediate area.  Your best bet is to disable the Gateway's wireless and stick with just the C4000. 

Options