Can I use my Archer A6 wireless router as a wifi extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-06 17:08:56 - last edited 2022-05-05 21:45:40
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, my ISP just replaced my Archer A6 router with a new router optimized for fiber. I have a Ring doorbell down by our front gate but it's out of range for the wifi. My question: Can I use my old tp-link Archer A6 router as a wifi extender? And if so, how can I set it to do that?  

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I use my Archer A6 wireless router as a wifi extender? -Solution
2019-11-06 22:52:52 - last edited 2019-11-07 23:34:44

@Dieds 

Yes, you will be able to by setting up WDS which pretty much turns a wireless band into a extender. This is definately not a user friendly setup, and is not the best solution, but since you do not want to just shelve the router it's worth trying to put it in some use.

Before you start there are a couple of things you need to do or know.

1. You need to know the IP address of your network because you will need to asign an IP to your A6. 

2. Wire a computer into the A6 with a Ethernet cable, trying to use Wi-Fi will cause headaches due to the constant dropping of connections configuring it.

Just as an example, we will say our network IP address starts with 192.168.68. in this case I will configure the LAN IP address of the A6 as 192.168.68.250 (Advanced > Network > LAN)

Next you are going to go to Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters, enable the wireless band you want to extend. You can only extend one so in this example we will choose the 2.4GHz.

Check the box that says "Enable WDS Bridging", where you will then select the "Survey" button.

This box will show you all the avialble wireless networks around, find your main wireless network that is coming from your router.

You will be taken back to the screen where you will see the network selected, what you need to do now is to put in the wireless password you would use to connect to that network you selected, then select "Save"

The last thing to do is to disable the DHCP server on the router by going to Advanced > Network > DHHCP Server, uncheck "Enable DHCP Server", and select "Save".

Now when you connect to the 2.4GHz network of the Archer A6 you will have internet. This will not give internet to the 5GHz band. If you still do not have internet when connected to the 2.4GHz band, turn off the router, and turn it back on.

If you feel you messed up during the setup, just factory the default the router by holding the reset for 10 seconds, and start again.

As a last resort if nothing works, you can opt for a range extender such as a RE220 which can extend both bands, and has a setup nothing like the one mentioned above.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Can I use my Archer A6 wireless router as a wifi extender? -Solution
2019-11-06 22:52:52 - last edited 2019-11-07 23:34:44

@Dieds 

Yes, you will be able to by setting up WDS which pretty much turns a wireless band into a extender. This is definately not a user friendly setup, and is not the best solution, but since you do not want to just shelve the router it's worth trying to put it in some use.

Before you start there are a couple of things you need to do or know.

1. You need to know the IP address of your network because you will need to asign an IP to your A6. 

2. Wire a computer into the A6 with a Ethernet cable, trying to use Wi-Fi will cause headaches due to the constant dropping of connections configuring it.

Just as an example, we will say our network IP address starts with 192.168.68. in this case I will configure the LAN IP address of the A6 as 192.168.68.250 (Advanced > Network > LAN)

Next you are going to go to Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters, enable the wireless band you want to extend. You can only extend one so in this example we will choose the 2.4GHz.

Check the box that says "Enable WDS Bridging", where you will then select the "Survey" button.

This box will show you all the avialble wireless networks around, find your main wireless network that is coming from your router.

You will be taken back to the screen where you will see the network selected, what you need to do now is to put in the wireless password you would use to connect to that network you selected, then select "Save"

The last thing to do is to disable the DHCP server on the router by going to Advanced > Network > DHHCP Server, uncheck "Enable DHCP Server", and select "Save".

Now when you connect to the 2.4GHz network of the Archer A6 you will have internet. This will not give internet to the 5GHz band. If you still do not have internet when connected to the 2.4GHz band, turn off the router, and turn it back on.

If you feel you messed up during the setup, just factory the default the router by holding the reset for 10 seconds, and start again.

As a last resort if nothing works, you can opt for a range extender such as a RE220 which can extend both bands, and has a setup nothing like the one mentioned above.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I use my Archer A6 wireless router as a wifi extender?
2019-11-07 02:05:05

Thanks @Tony!

It worked!! This is awesome. Thanks very much! I really appreciate it. 

Options
2019-11-07 17:17:34

@Dieds 

Great to hear, you are very welcome.

Options
2019-11-07 20:50:27

Hi @Tony,

I have a bit of a puzzle: My laptop, mobile phone and Kindle can connect to the extended network, which has it's own SSID (the default tp-link one). But my wife's laptop cannot connect to it. It says the password is incorrect. 

Most important to me is that my Ring video doorbell cannot connect to the network, either. That's the reason I needed an extended since it's on my front gate. 

The Ring can connect to the original network, but not the one from my Archer A6 that's sending out the boosted signal. Same thing happens as with my wife's laptop ...  a message that the password I entered was incorrect. 

Any ideas on how I can correct this issue? I tried restarting both routers but that didn't work. 

Thanks!

Options
2019-11-07 23:02:13

@Dieds 

Change the default network name and password to something else. Aside from the problem devices try other devices to verify there actually is internet with other computers. If you use a smart phone it might switch over to cellular giving a false positive.

Options
2019-11-07 23:34:01 - last edited 2019-11-07 23:34:33

@Tony, that worked!!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I'm glad to put my Archer A6 to good use for the Ring doorbell at our gate, which is some 100 feet from our front door.

I placed it in the garage which is a lot closer to the street. Another good thing is that I now have wifi for my mobile phone when I am out front. AT&T's cell tower got damaged in a storm awhile back and we don't have any cell service in the neighborhood where I live in South Texas. Now I can use the wifi for calls and such, too. 

Options
2019-11-07 23:37:54

@Dieds 

Sweet!

Options
2020-04-13 00:01:13

@Tony 

I set up per instructions. I have a technicolor century link router and want to use my tp link to extend my wifi as the technicolor lacks. I am bridging of 2.4ghz. Question is should I name the network and pasword the same tp link as I have on my technicolor? I originally have it set up as the default tp link name and password.

Thanks!

Options
2020-04-13 18:25:52

@nsofti 

I would make the names different, what you do not want is a device connecting back and forth constantly dropping your connection.

Options
2020-04-24 03:30:17 - last edited 2020-04-24 03:33:38

Hello @Tony 

Is this the same process of I want to hardwire it? I have a LAN connection upstairs in the wall and want to hardwire the router to that(which connects to the main router) I want to use the A6 as a booster for the WiFi, and have my computer plugged into it for a hardwire connection. A lot of the videos show methods, but not specific to the A6. As I understand I need to plug the cable from my main router we into a LAN port on the A6, and another LAN onto my PC. Then turn off NAT, match the SSID/Security key from the main, change the IP to match the main, except change the last area to a high number, and then disable the DHCP server on A6. If I do those steps will it be an extendor and still let me get hardwired speeds? I have gigabyte internet, and want max WIFI across the house along with hard wire speed to my 2 PCs. Thanks for the info. First post, so if I did it wrong or this is the wrong place I apologise. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 8

Views: 59215

Replies: 11

Related Articles