A20 and Tether, can not connect off WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-01 12:42:05
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1

This used to work as of a week ago or so?

I've got an OPEN CASE and working with Support but all of a sudden, I can't 'see' the router when off of Wifi?

I thought it worked via the cloud?

During an on-line session with support, different routers were used, modem and A20 was disconnected a few time, as well as 2 routers were cascaded in different configurations. Also had Beta f/w put on the A20 and then reloaded the V1 f/w which I am on now.

Other than my case problem with e-mail, which does have a work-around, the router seems to be working fine?

I have tried some debug steps to no avail:

• Rebooted router.
  • Unbound my TPLINKWIFI ID and did bind it again.
  • Tether is on an Android phone and I removed it and reinstalled it.
  • Verified the router IP Address has stayed the same, 192.168.0.1.

Any suggestions? Works fine when phone on my wifi.

Options
12 Reply
Re:A20 and Tether, can not connect off WiFi
2019-12-02 19:57:29

@IrvSp 

I know you have been doing a lot with Parker over the last week.  When it comes to cloud access via tether both the router and the tether app have to be signed into the same TP-Link ID. I know you stated that the router was unbound and rebound to your TP-Link ID and you deleted and reisntalled the Tether app on your phone but did you sign back into the tp-link ID on the Tether app as well?

Options
2019-12-02 20:36:57 - last edited 2019-12-02 20:37:39

@Carl ,

Yes, did all that.

I think it 'broke' when Parker put the Beta on? Then re-installed V1 f/w. The next day or so I was out and tried it and discovered it wasn't working? When I got home I saw Remote Access wasn't on. Turned that on and the next day tried... still couldn't connect. So I tried the unbind/bind, re-boot, Uninstalled Tether, reinstalled it, signed in again. I just checked it again, can't find a device? Very confusing to me as I thought I knew how to connect to it? This is the latest entry in the log dealing with Remote Access:

As you can see, it was set and the service did start? I can get to the A20 when on Wifi with no problem, just not when I'm on the Cell Service (and I could before)?

I open the Tether app and go to TP-Link ID and it shows me connected, only choice is to UNBIND it seems which I did the last time? I can LOGOUT in Tether and log back in with my TP-Link ID and in Wifi it finds the A20. Am I missing something?

I'll connect with Parker again tonight or tomorrow and I guess I'll ask him about it?

Options
2019-12-02 21:28:15

@IrvSp 

Yeah I am still going through the email chain (I was on vacation last week)  The beta firmware may not have that feature enable, even though the service is showing in the logs as started.  Most beta firmware that i have done local testing with does not have the tether remote access enables so that is likely the cause.  

Options
2019-12-02 21:56:38

@Carl,

We did put back V1 code though? Rebooted, but we never did a flush reset? This is what is show as installed, 1.0.0 Build 20181122 rel.29339(5553).

I'm pretty sure I've done everything needed to allow this? I can reach the A20 using eihter the IP Address or http://tplinkwifi.net as the URL in a browser and enter my TP-Link credentials? Basically I did everything in this link, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1366/https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1366/, well accept for the Tether part as I was already logged in? Like I said, I even did a LOGOFF and LOGON and it didn't help?

This is what shows on the A20:

You'd think if I wasn't logging in wih that set of credentials Tether wouldn't be able to do much, nor on Wifi eiher and tell me in both situations it can't find the device?

Options
2019-12-02 22:13:08

@IrvSp 

Yeah if you are back on the V1 firmware and have it setup properly as your screen shot shows there then should not be a reason for this feature not to work.  DM me your Router's MAC ID and the full TP-Link ID Email account and I will engage with Cloud team to see if possibly the router is not associated in some way that is causing this issue. 

Options
2019-12-02 22:41:27

@Carl,

Sent you TWO PM's. Can't tell if they were sent or not? No verification, windows just closed?

I can send it e-mail I guess if you didn't get it?

Options
2019-12-02 22:43:06

@IrvSp 

Yup got it.  Will send this over and let you know once i have word. 

thank you

Options
2019-12-03 11:17:07

@Carl,

For what it is worth, Parker tested Tether buy unbinding me and used his ID. It worked for him. I then did the unbind and set my account up and bound it. Still fails. Sort of confirms an account problem I guess?

Tough test in my home, very weak cell signal. However, it also will show no device when I switch off Wifi.

Options
2019-12-04 12:22:04

@Carl.

Parker nailed it... found I was NOT logged in according to records. Looked at the app and I was NOT... Logged in, works.

Too bad the app didn't tell me that vs. saying it couldn't find a device? I had to look at the 3 line 'hamburger' on the top left and then it showed I wasn't logged in. I think it was always showing as a 'local device' and now it shows as a 'cloud device'. That was probably another indication I wasn't logged in?

Options
2019-12-05 19:21:27

@IrvSp 

Yeah i kinda figured that would be the issue after they told me you handn't access the account in a week.  When i asked if you were signed in orginally i told you how to check.  My applogies that took longer than it should have. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1249

Replies: 12