How to configure the gateway for an Archer C2300 in AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 13:27:07
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer C2300(EU)_V1_20180810

Under the network settings, if I use a fixed IP, I can set the IP address and the MASK but not the Gateway. This means I can only connect to the AP management gui from within the same network.

I've upgraded to the latest firmware available but the option stills not there.

Is there any plan to include the gateway in the fixed IP settings section?

Options
12 Reply
Re:How to configure the gateway for an Archer C2300 in AP mode?
2019-12-02 22:22:01

@barbarian 

This is correct becasue as an AP the router is not longer a router and only accessible locally.  The Gateway address is LAN address of the router it is connected to.  If you want to be able to access it remotely you would need to have the C2300 setup as a router.

Options
2019-12-03 18:07:17

@Carl 

But I don't want it as a router. I just want to be able to manage it from a different subnetwork as I usually do with other APs and network devices.

IMHO every network device should have the possibility to set a default gateway.

My LAN is separated from the WLAN for security reasons.

Is there any place where I could suggest this option to be included in future releases?

Options
2019-12-05 19:32:14

@barbarian 

I will send it up to our R and D team, that's not a problem but I would not bet on a solution.  Since the routing comes from your router remote access to the device also would come from the router.  If you simply try to gain remote access to the C2300 in AP mode then that access would need to be granted from the Router suppling the internet and IP to the AP.  You would need to see if the router has settings that allows remote access to Local devices.  If so it should just be a matter of setting that up on the router and knowing the IP and ports to access the AP.  

Options
2019-12-06 12:22:49

@Carl 

If the AP doesn't have a default gateway set I won't be able to even ping it from a different subnetwork to see if it is still alive. For any device in the network you have to set the IP, the Mask and a default gateway so it can go out of its network, that's why I found odd that this last setting is missing on the TP-Link AP.

Options
2021-02-03 01:09:13 - last edited 2021-02-03 01:14:33

@Carl 

Hi Carl! I have a question about AP mode. I set up my second C2300 as an AP and works perfectly as an AP. Well almost! My question is that on my C2300 in router mode I see the AP fine but that in the router log the AP is just constantly pinging "TP-LINK.COM" Is there a reason it does this? I have taken both C2300 devices and switched their roles and no mater which plays the AP role the AP fills up the router syslog by constantly pinging  "TP-LINK.COM" How can I stop this at the AP? What is the reason the C2300 in AP mode does this? Thanks! @GE0 

Options
2021-02-03 01:28:02

@barbarian 

Hi! You could add a route to/from your other class c subnet to the routing table if your network is joined by a switch or router. You would not want to do that via the WAN port if on a public class a subnet for security reasons. Or use the router VPN feature. Just saying. @GE0

Options
2021-02-05 01:41:14

@GE0 

I'm not sure but i will find out and let you know.

Options
2021-02-11 20:19:36

@Carl Sorry for insisting, but it doesn't make sense to put an option to connect and check for the latest firmware upgrade if the AP doesn't know how to go out of the network because there is no option to set the default gateway. This happens in AP mode, I'm not using router mode, for that I have a dedicated router.

Every device you connect to a network must have a gateway to communicate with devices outside it's network. IMHO, this is a bug; I won't insist more on this topic, but it will make me look for other brands when I renew my network.

Thank you for your time.

Options
2021-02-12 19:51:18

@barbarian 

Its not a bug though.  Its a factor of DHCP.  When you put the C2300 in AP mode you are disabling all router functions including the DHCP server.  This means that the Host router or a 3rd party device is providing the DHCP for the network.  IPs would come from the device, usually the host router, that is handing out the DHCP addressing.  This includes the Default Gateway.  Accessing the AP locally is just a matter of connecting to the device via one of its Ethernet ports and using the management UI or via its Wireless and the management UI or Tether app.  Remote management would require the C2300 to be in router mode or for you to know the IP assigned and having remote management enabled on the Host device.  For the OTA updates you would need the device to be in router mode.  It sounds though from your responses that you are looking for a more enterprise level AP where you are able to access, manage and update remotely.  If that is correct you are using the wrong product.  The C2300 is a home product and you would want something in our Business product line.  Look at the EAP225 or anything in our Omada product line.  These devices would meet those requirements more effectively.   

Options
2021-02-22 13:34:42

@GE0 

I have my network routing working fine and all the other networking devices are able to go out of their subnetwork because I can configure their default gateway, which tell them how to go out. The problem here is that when you put this archer C2300 in AP mode, there is no way to configure the gateway IP, only it's IP address and network mask; since I can't configure it, there is no way this device (the management interface) is able to communicate with the other subnetworks nor the internet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1497

Replies: 12