3-way Smart Dimmer Switch

2019-12-03 00:27:50

Hello. I'm looking for a 3-way dimmer switch. I don't believe Tp-Link/Kasa makes one. However, is it possible to use a 3-way switch and a single pole dimmer?

Options
3 Replies
Re:3-way Smart Dimmer Switch
2019-12-10 01:16:19
Just bought a bunch of switches not realizing there is no 3 way dimmer. Crazy that this isn't being co considered right nkw. I would have gone with a different brand had I known
Options
2020-01-22 22:01:07 - last edited 2020-01-22 22:02:00

mnead wrote

Hello. I'm looking for a 3-way dimmer switch. I don't believe Tp-Link/Kasa makes one. However, is it possible to use a 3-way switch and a single pole dimmer?

@mnead I read on one of the forum posts here that someone used a traditional dimmer switch on the load side and an HS210 on the line side to do exactly what you are asking. I personally stopped waiting for tp-link to release a dimmer and went with the Feit Electric 3 way switches, which can be used as a 3 way dimmer switch or a single pole dimmer. At $30 for a 2 pack, they are economically friendly on my wallet. I got mine at the local Costco.

Options
a week ago

@mnead 

I just installed a Kasa 3 way switch with a traditional 3 way dimmable switch last night.  While it worked, it didn't quite work as well as I hoped. 

The problem I ran into was if the sooner was set too low, the Kasa switch would flake out and wouldn't control the light.  It would try to as I could hear the relay clicking inside of it, but it couldn't maintain the connection. After failing to make the state change, it would try again.  This would continue until I increased the brightness at the 'dumb' dimmer switch. 

The other thing I noticed is that when I turn the lights on from either end of the 3 way circuit, the would come on at full brightness for less than a second before dimming. 

Options