Archer A20, New firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A20, New firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer A20, New firmware
Archer A20, New firmware
2019-12-05 13:24:04
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.1.1.

I was checking that Tether still was working on my iPad and that I stayed logged in (phone had logged off I discovered yesterday). Looked at settings.and noticed there was an UPDATE for the f/w. Didn't want to install it via the IPad setting control. I then went to the PC and logged into the router. Sure enough, there was an Update. Still didn't want to do it via an automatic process of d/l and install. I'd rather get the file to the PC which is wired and then install it. Went to the D/L center, it wasn't there? Less chance of bricking the router when installed via direct connect to the router. OK, I did it via the router which showed this as the contents:

Sort of taken aback by this list and the version number. Date was about 6 weeks ago? Is that how long it takes to verify the build? Just curious?

I lookat at the New features list and it was sort of short on words?

• #3, how/what was Optimized? Didn't see any change?
  • #4, that option was alreadys there, although I don't use it, was it not working, but it is under New Features/Enhancement?

Bug fixes:

• #2 should probably be BYTES, not BITS.
  • #3, I don't have this problem, but a paired device proably doesn't have a LAN IP Address? Not sure what this was about?
  • #4, what is "probabilistic power anomaly"? Google wasn't even much help?

As I started the install it stated that ALL my settings would be erased.... and I stopped to make sure I had screenshots of changes and a backup settings file as I'd probably need it. Well, I didn't need those, NONE were lost as I went throught setup when the router came back after the install and checked every page on the GUI. ALL settings were retained. It is nice to have the warning, but it should say 'might' vs. 'all' I guess and remind you to save what you have (if it is possible/advisable) to reload them after update.

If there were DHCP changes as listed in the Enhancements, I can't tell what they are? Any details to share on that?

What changed in Smart Connect? Maybe I'd use it? Past routers I've had used Load Leveling on Smart Connect so I never used it. What method does the A20 use? It sort of implied Load Leveling from this link, https://www.tp-link.com/common/Promo/en/Smart-Connect/Smart-Connect.htmlhttps://www.tp-link.com/common/Promo/en/Smart-Connect/Smart-Connect.html?

===================

When you connect a device to your router, Smart Connect will automatically identify the best available channel and assign the
device to it.It is true that piling too many devices on one band might reduce its performance.Smart Conncet technology allows
your router to automatically choose the most efficient device so that every device is able to reach its full potential.

===================

However on that page it also seems to indicate it will do band switching to either level ot the load on bands or move a device to a 'better' band when available?

=============

Smart Connect relies on an advanced algorithm that not only automatically determines which band is best for each device,but also constantly monitors the overall status of each device to determine if and when a particular device would benefit from being automatically reassigned to a different band.

=============

Was any of this implemented now or changed in Smart Connect on this version of f/w?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A20, New firmware
2019-12-05 19:54:13

@IrvSp 

Cloud updates are usually available first, with the D/L file following shortly.  Website udpates are usally done on Fridays unless I am off or there is a holiday.  I just checked and yes there was a new file available to publish.  It was added to the server on Monday so it would have likely been added tomorrow, but I went ahead and added it today.  These are the release notes for it: (they are the same as what the online update gave you)

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Optimized the Parental Controls function;
2. Optimized the HomeCare function, you can manage HomeCare function via Tether APP;
3. Optimized the DHCP function;
4. Supported the smart connect;
5. Added DNS TCP DNAT forwarding rules.

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug that when the portal of the Guest Network is opened, the blocking page of the portal will pop up continuously after the authentication is passed;
2. Fixed the bug that when the length of the password entered in the login screen exceeds 32 bits, the excess part will be discarded;
3. Fixed the bug that Panasonic devices cannot find the paired device in the LAN network;
4. Fixed the bug that 2.4G probabilistic power anomaly

We have asked for more details to be provided regarding the optimization, as we do not know either.  For the Smart Connect "enhancement"  i have no clue what they are saying so we will have to find out that as well.

regarding the bugs you are right they probably meant Bytes not bits.  For the panasonic devices I can only assume they mean devices on the network with IPs assigned but the way the update was written is very confusing.  

For any firmware that erases settings the release notes are supposed to state that if they do not then you are not supposed to lose any configurations.  

Options
2019-12-06 17:01:18

@IrvSp 

Got answer for ya.

1. The Parental Controls change the Bed Time definition. From the "Mon to Fri, Sat&Sun" to the "Sun to Thus, Fri&Sat".
2. The HomeCare fix the Trend Micro mode, the Wlan-to-lan access without acceleration. On the Web and Tether, add the ability to manually configure Qos.
3. To solve the problem that DHCP dial-up does not support broadcasting in the United States, the modification method is broadcast + unicast every 3 packet cycles
4. Switch the Tether wireless component to version 4, which supports smart connect. The Tether support smart connect.

1. Bug two: It said the 32 bits ASCII.
2. Bug three: After registering successfully with panasonic APP, fully close and then open the APP. You'll notice that the app tells you that you can't find the device and report an error.
3. As for the update the firmware, I just confirm with the RD. The upgrade will not result in the loss of the configuration file, which should be a misunderstanding caused by the upgrade copy writer not being updated synchronously.

Let me know if this makes sense or if i need to explain anything in greater detail. 

-Best Regards

Options
2019-12-06 17:22:39

@Carl,

Thanks, a lot more clear but that 32 bit ASCII still should read 'Characters' probably. All that probably should have been the actual Readme?

Any info on " 4. Fixed the bug that 2.4G probabilistic power anomaly "? I never had problems with the 2.4Ghz SSID but I am curious?

Options