Archer A20 router keeps crashing since connecting new AVR

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-18 02:35:48 - last edited 2020-08-18 02:39:13
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I bought a Tp-link Archer AC4000 (Archer A20) in October 2019. It has worked great up until this week when I added on a Denon AVR (AVR-X4500H). When I connect it to the network and begin streaming music (via Spotify), the router invariably crashes within a few minutes. The router just drops, resets, and then starts to work again. Since this has happened I've power cycled, uplugged/replugged all connections, updated the firmware, changed the channel/channel widths, and reset the network entirely. No matter what I do it still happens. I have tried different audio sources with no improvement. My ISP is Verizon Fios and it is working fine this entire time. The only time the router doesn't drop is when I disconnect the AVR from the network and just stream music connected via Bluetooth. I have 9-10 devices connected to the router and have never had an issue with this many connections until I added the AVR. 

What could cause my router to restart constantly and is there any way to fix this without having to get a new one?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A20 router keeps crashing since connecting new AVR
2020-08-18 11:47:56
It appears that the issue is more with the AVR than the router. I did google "Denon AVR causes router to turn off" and found an entry https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/276/~/computer-and-denon-receiver-freezing so it is a common problem. Try turning UPnP off however that may break something else. Might be other things also.
Options
2020-08-18 15:34:06

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the reply. I have read up on these issues for several different AVRs but my friend has the exact same one and has no problems. I will add now as well that the router drops even when the Denon is not on or streaming music, so I am worried it is a router-specific problem now. Could it be a hardware problem? I turned off UPnP so we'll see if that helps but it sounds like it could disable some functions and defeat the purpose of having a AVR in the first place. 

Options
2020-08-19 16:20:44

@rhpress 

The troubleshooting steps you mentioned in your first post are all you can pretty much do at this point. If the router continues to drop even without the AVR I would reach out to support to see what they may be able to offer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 520

Replies: 3